[Chugalug] OpenSource.com's Favorite Distro Poll is Live

[Chugalug] OpenSource.com's Favorite Distro Poll is Live

JustinMcAfee
https://opensource.com/article/18/1/favorite-linux-distro-poll

By the way, am I using this right? I've never been in a non-technical enthusiast mailing list before. And with the few responses I've seen move back and forth, I'm afraid I may be over-enthused.

-jm

wes

Re: [Chugalug] OpenSource.com's Favorite Distro Poll is Live

wes
yup. think of this as more of a bar where everyone knows your name. like cheersalug. just throw out whatever you feel like talking about. sometimes people will pick it up, sometimes they won't. probably most of the time, most people will read it with interest, but would only respond if they were very confident a response would add to the discussion. I've personally learned a lot about how to function effectively in a fluidly-organized group from environments like this. don't take a lack of response as a warning sign of any kind.

one thing I might advise to you would be to not expect people to click links. this type of crowd leans toward not doing that. I'd write a paragraph or so re-telling what's on the site, so I can give people an idea of what to expect.

-wes

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:51 AM, JustinMcAfee <[hidden email]> wrote:
https://opensource.com/article/18/1/favorite-linux-distro-poll

By the way, am I using this right? I've never been in a non-technical enthusiast mailing list before. And with the few responses I've seen move back and forth, I'm afraid I may be over-enthused.

-jm

Re: [Chugalug] OpenSource.com's Favorite Distro Poll is Live

JustinMcAfee
Wes, Fair enough, I'll stick to sharing what I find awesome and interesting but I'll add a little more context and commentary along the way.

Nick, Not old, just out of vogue. There's always a new hot distro that someone wants to show me. This week it was PureOS and elementary (one of which I'd seen before, the other which has been discussed here.) Jonathan Calloway and I had an interesting IRL conversation about this the other day, in that 90% of the current "distros" are just debian with a new skin or theme. They're not making any significant changes or improvements to the OS or the base code. Maybe the days of significant OS forking have fallen to the way side as more stuff moves into the browser.

-jm

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

[...]

I cannot say that I miss the days of only 3-4 distros with dismal support options though.

-Aaron

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures