[Chugalug] PC Request

John Alcock
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

John

Re: [Chugalug] PC Request

Chad Smith
You could always go with a console.  The Xbox One X is just at $500 - and it has both games you mentioned, as well as being able to output into 4K HDR.

Or you could go with a Switch (which has both games and is portable) or a PS4.... Which has both games... but they won't be able to work with anyone other than other PS4 owners - at least for Minecraft.  Not sure about Rocket League.  All other consoles can talk to each other and PCs for those 2 games specifically.

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

John

Re: [Chugalug] PC Request

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
A used Xbox One S goes for around $200 on eBay, and PS4s go for about the same price.

Rocket League and Minecraft, I believe, are available for both consoles, however PS4 games cannot talk to Xbox games just yet.

Browse the software libraries of the PS4 and Xbox One and see which has more software that your kids are interested in.

A Nintendo Switch is a good choice as well.

Hope this helps.

-Alex

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:36 AM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was actually considering that. I had not done the research on which games he can play between other pc users.

He plays a lot of my steam games though.  I will probably just transfer all the games to his account eventually.  He is a 11 though.  I remember when I was 11.  I think I got a Commodore 64.. Showing my age...

Right now, he actually has a Linux machine that he plays mincraft and team fortress, but then switches to my pc for other gaming.

John

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Stewart
FYI: "Console edition" Minecraft is different from the full "java edition" Minecraft, and they won't talk to each other or use the same mods.

I'll throw out another suggestion, although I don't have any experience with it: There are also Steam boxes that can be had for similar prices to consoles, have a console-style controller, and play all (most?) Steam games.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] PC Request

Stephen Kraus
Never go Console. PC Master Race.

And beyond that joke, PC Minecraft is far more expandable and moddable

On Nov 7, 2017 3:20 PM, "Benjamin Stewart" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI: "Console edition" Minecraft is different from the full "java edition" Minecraft, and they won't talk to each other or use the same mods.

I'll throw out another suggestion, although I don't have any experience with it: There are also Steam boxes that can be had for similar prices to consoles, have a console-style controller, and play all (most?) Steam games.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was actually considering that. I had not done the research on which games he can play between other pc users.

He plays a lot of my steam games though.  I will probably just transfer all the games to his account eventually.  He is a 11 though.  I remember when I was 11.  I think I got a Commodore 64.. Showing my age...

Right now, he actually has a Linux machine that he plays mincraft and team fortress, but then switches to my pc for other gaming.

John

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could always go with a console.  The Xbox One X is just at $500 - and it has both games you mentioned, as well as being able to output into 4K HDR.

Or you could go with a Switch (which has both games and is portable) or a PS4.... Which has both games... but they won't be able to work with anyone other than other PS4 owners - at least for Minecraft.  Not sure about Rocket League.  All other consoles can talk to each other and PCs for those 2 games specifically.

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

John

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] PC Request

Aaron welch
I have all kinds of stuff for you. :+)

Dell T7500
Dual QC Xeons
16GB RAM
240GB SSD
Radeon R9 280x
$350

(I have 2 of these)

I can also build out my old Dell XPS with the same card for less money. Lets make a deal.

-Aaron

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Never go Console. PC Master Race.

And beyond that joke, PC Minecraft is far more expandable and moddable

On Nov 7, 2017 3:20 PM, "Benjamin Stewart" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FYI: "Console edition" Minecraft is different from the full "java edition" Minecraft, and they won't talk to each other or use the same mods.

I'll throw out another suggestion, although I don't have any experience with it: There are also Steam boxes that can be had for similar prices to consoles, have a console-style controller, and play all (most?) Steam games.

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:44 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was actually considering that. I had not done the research on which games he can play between other pc users.

He plays a lot of my steam games though.  I will probably just transfer all the games to his account eventually.  He is a 11 though.  I remember when I was 11.  I think I got a Commodore 64.. Showing my age...

Right now, he actually has a Linux machine that he plays mincraft and team fortress, but then switches to my pc for other gaming.

John

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
You could always go with a console.  The Xbox One X is just at $500 - and it has both games you mentioned, as well as being able to output into 4K HDR.

Or you could go with a Switch (which has both games and is portable) or a PS4.... Which has both games... but they won't be able to work with anyone other than other PS4 owners - at least for Minecraft.  Not sure about Rocket League.  All other consoles can talk to each other and PCs for those 2 games specifically.

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

John

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] PC Request

Jonathan Calloway
The real question is can you play Rocker League and Minwcraft on LINUX???

If so, so get the boy running Arch!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 7, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

There is a Steam client for Linux, but it only runs on Ubuntu variants. I don't know if Rocket League is Linux compatible though...

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

Buy the T7400 Aaron has. I have the T5500 and  despite its age its a extremely upgradeable and agile desktop.

On Nov 7, 2017 5:20 PM, "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

I have two T7500s currently.  I also have a few 1U 16 core AMD machines (Dell R415) if anyone wants one on the cheap.

On Nov 7, 2017, at 5:27 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

Unkmar
Steam runs fine on Debian. And Ubuntu is a Debian fork. Not the other way around. I play Minecraft just fine. I don't know if Rocket league is available for Linux. I don't have any Windows machines. Those exist for my family members, not me.

On Nov 8, 2017 12:46 AM, "Aaron welch" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

I have run Steam on Arch.

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 11:20 PM, Unkmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

Regarding Rocket League on Linux:  (From the Steam page:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/252950/Rocket_League/ )

SteamOS and Mac Beta Versions

As of September 8, 2016, the SteamOS and Mac versions of Rocket League were released to "Beta." SteamOS is the only "officially" supported Linux client, though other Linux platforms may be compatible. Likewise, the Mac version may or may not work on older systems with an integrated video solution and a dedicated GPU is highly recommended (Macs from 2013 or after should be okay).

SteamOS + Linux System

MINIMUM:
Processor: 2.4+ GHz Quad core
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 260 or ATI 4850
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 7 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 2.5+ GHz Quad core
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 660 or better, ATI 7950 or better
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 7 GB available space
Additional Notes: Gamepad or Controller Recommended

- Chad W. Smith

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

And all consoles other than the XB1X are less than $500.

Just a thought.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well,

It is that time of year where I need to get my little boy a PC for gaming.  Nothing to highend.

I am aiming for the $500 mark.  I have one that I started building, but it is a little over $600.

Is there anyone here planning on upgrading there PC and wants to get rid of last generation parts and such?

We are not into heavy gaming.  Rocket League, Minecraft, etc.

[Chugalug] A good day for Linux... :)

kitepilot
Unofficial (and unauthorized) disclosure:

As of tomorrow, the first Linux-based 'FAA positions' (air traffic
controller boxes) will be officially deployed in the 'En Route Air Traffic
Control System'.

That means that some controllers will be using Linux boxes instead of AIX
boxes to move *YOUR* airplane from here to there.
And that's only the tip of the iceberg...   :)

For those of you 'uninitiated', there are essentially 4 phases to any
flight:
ground and take off,
departure (or approach),
transition and,
'en route'
'en route' will be all Linux in the future.

As a 'Computer Geek' (and Linux user of 1.5 decades) worming on that
software and a Commercial Pilot that talks over the radio with those
controllers, I am pretty thrilled about it...
ET

PS: Contact your congress representative and OPPOSE Air Traffic Control
privatization.
It will affect you in ways that you don't even imagine...
http://www.atcnotforsale.com/
http://tinyurl.com/y7kw735t