[Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

12

[Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

John Aldrich-2
Is it worth the trouble to try and keep my old PS/2-only KVM running or should
I just bite the bullet and buy a new KVM to go with a new mouse/keyboard? If I
decide to try and keep my KVM, it looks like I'm going to end up spending
about $75-$80 for a USB to PS2 converter just to keep the Belkin KVM I have.
Seems like it might be more cost-effective to buy a new KVM at the same time as
I buy a new keyboard/mouse.
If I go that route, do you have any suggestions for a KVM that is compatible
with Linux? I've tried a couple PS/2 KVM switches that my Linux box didn't
seem to like in the past so I'd rather not buy a new KVM that won't play well
with my Linux box. :)
wes

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

wes
That is actually more like 10x the price of a USB to PS2 converter.

There are even cheaper ones, if you want to risk it.

However the real answer is to "bite the bullet" and install Synergy :)

-wes

On Wed May 14 2014 4:16:52 PM wes wrote:
> That is actually more like 10x the price of a USB to PS2 converter.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BPII48
>
> There are even cheaper ones, if you want to risk it.
>
> However the real answer is to "bite the bullet" and install Synergy :)

Wrong direction. :) I would need something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Minicom-Converter-Switch-Extender-0DT60002/dp/B00404YD8W/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400108356&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+to+ps2+keyboard+adapter

On Wed May 14 2014 7:23:20 PM John Aldrich wrote:

> On Wed May 14 2014 4:16:52 PM wes wrote:
> > That is actually more like 10x the price of a USB to PS2 converter.
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BPII48
> >
> > There are even cheaper ones, if you want to risk it.
> >
> > However the real answer is to "bite the bullet" and install Synergy :)
>
> Wrong direction. :) I would need something like this:
> http://www.amazon.com/Minicom-Converter-Switch-Extender-0DT60002/dp/B00404YD
> 8W/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400108356&sr=1-7&keywords=usb+to+ps2+keyboar
> d+adapter

For that price I can get a brand-name (Tripplite) USB KVM switch

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

John Aldrich-2
May have found my next KVM:
http://www.amazon.com/SOHO-4-Port-KVM-Switch-VGA/dp/B00198445E/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1400109938&sr=1-2&keywords=four+port+kvm+switch

This is a Belkin (just like my current one) and it supports four ports (like
my current one) and it does PS2 OR USB. :) And best of all, one of the
reviewers said they have multiple Linux boxes that it works with. Plus it does
audio from any given machine. :)

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

John Aldrich

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

Rod-Lists
crunchbang seriously!

On Thu, 15 May 2014 17:09:06 -0400, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

The unregulated free market is like Yog-Sothoth, a mythical being whose
followers make bloody sacrifice to hasten its arrival to this world.

http://snowdenandthefuture.info/documents.html

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

Quoting Dave Brockman <[hidden email]>:

> On 5/15/2014 1:28 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
>> Yup. I have to have a Windoze box to do my photo editing (I use
>> Lightroom.) I'd have to buy a whole new machine for Linux just to
>> have a machine capable of running Windoze in a VM. My current Linux
>> machine tops out at 4 Gigs of RAM. :(
>
> Are you editing video in Linux as well?  If not, why do you need > 4GB
> of RAM on a Linux Desktop?

No, not editing video, but won't I need a lot of RAM if I don't want
to be thrashing the drive swapping to disk all the time?
wes

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 5:36 AM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Dave Brockman <[hidden email]>:

On 5/15/2014 1:28 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
Yup. I have to have a Windoze box to do my photo editing (I use
Lightroom.) I'd have to buy a whole new machine for Linux just to
have a machine capable of running Windoze in a VM. My current Linux
machine tops out at 4 Gigs of RAM. :(

Are you editing video in Linux as well?  If not, why do you need > 4GB
of RAM on a Linux Desktop?

No, not editing video, but won't I need a lot of RAM if I don't want to be thrashing the drive swapping to disk all the time?

Not really. You need about 512mb for a basic linux system plus the 2gb or whatever you want to give to the virtual windows system. 4gb offers plenty to go around.

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM, wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not really. You need about 512mb for a basic linux system plus the 2gb or
> whatever you want to give to the virtual windows system. 4gb offers plenty
> to go around.

Dude, I don't know what modern web browser you're using, but... I just
popped up "top" on my box, and my (pretty lightweight) mail client has
215m resident, and my Firefox, with 7 tabs open, is at 846M.

wes

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM, wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not really. You need about 512mb for a basic linux system plus the 2gb or
> whatever you want to give to the virtual windows system. 4gb offers plenty
> to go around.

Dude, I don't know what modern web browser you're using, but... I just
popped up "top" on my box, and my (pretty lightweight) mail client has
215m resident, and my Firefox, with 7 tabs open, is at 846M.

Dan

Simple solution: don't run a web browser in the host OS while you're running the VM. The 512 I quoted was JUST for the base OS. Of course this can go (much) higher or lower depending on various circumstances, but should be easily doable for someone trying to run a VM reasonably well.

Quoting wes <[hidden email]>:

> Simple solution: don't run a web browser in the host OS while you're
> running the VM. The 512 I quoted was JUST for the base OS. Of course this
> can go (much) higher or lower depending on various circumstances, but
> should be easily doable for someone trying to run a VM reasonably well.

Well, if I"m running Linux as my "Host" OS, I'm darn sure gonna wanna
use email and browse the web in it too. :)
wes

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting wes <[hidden email]>:

Simple solution: don't run a web browser in the host OS while you're
running the VM. The 512 I quoted was JUST for the base OS. Of course this
can go (much) higher or lower depending on various circumstances, but
should be easily doable for someone trying to run a VM reasonably well.

Well, if I"m running Linux as my "Host" OS, I'm darn sure gonna wanna use email and browse the web in it too. :)

Just close out of that stuff when you're ready to do your photo editing in Windows.

Also, this is just the simplistic answer - there is plenty of room for fine-tuning. You can measure the amount of RAM actually used by Windows + apps and give it only a little more than it needs. Then the rest is available for whatever else you have going on on your host system.

Quoting wes <[hidden email]>:

> Just close out of that stuff when you're ready to do your photo editing in
> Windows.
>
> Also, this is just the simplistic answer - there is plenty of room for
> fine-tuning. You can measure the amount of RAM actually used by Windows +
> apps and give it only a little more than it needs. Then the rest is
> available for whatever else you have going on on your host system.

Well it's also that the hardware is a bit on the old side (by computer
standards.) I'm running on a dual-core Athlon X2 with 64-bit Fedora.
:) I think I should upgrade before trying anything like this anyway.

So how hard would it be to convert a physical machine to a virtual?

Re: [Chugalug] PS/2 KVM to USB keyboard/mouse

Chad Smith
John - I just wanted to let you know that for some reason - all of your messages (and it is just your messages) are getting sent to my Gmail spam box.  I keep telling Google "Not Spam" but it keeps happening.  I even put you in my circles but it didn't help.

Just a head's up - I may be an oddball case, but I might not be.  IDK.

- Chad W. Smith