[Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

[Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

David White-2
At this point, it's only a remote possibility, but I'm running through some calculations right now, and think I'm getting to the borderline point of ROI for maintaining my own hardware vs. renting cloud space.

If I decide to invest in my own hardware, I'll need a pair of servers (for HA VMWare fail-over), each with 32GB RAM.

Used is fine, as long as they are decent. I'll put SSDs into them.

Aaron, Ed or Dave (since you 3 are the main hardware suppliers): Whatcha got?

Again: This is only a remote possibility at this point. No guarantees. I'm still calculating, still thinking, and may wait for another 2-3 clients to come on board. :)

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

Aaron welch
LOL... I just sold Stephen a set of three. How many cores do you need?

-AW

Sent from my iPhone

On May 10, 2017, at 9:53 PM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

At this point, it's only a remote possibility, but I'm running through some calculations right now, and think I'm getting to the borderline point of ROI for maintaining my own hardware vs. renting cloud space.

If I decide to invest in my own hardware, I'll need a pair of servers (for HA VMWare fail-over), each with 32GB RAM.

Used is fine, as long as they are decent. I'll put SSDs into them.

Aaron, Ed or Dave (since you 3 are the main hardware suppliers): Whatcha got?

Again: This is only a remote possibility at this point. No guarantees. I'm still calculating, still thinking, and may wait for another 2-3 clients to come on board. :)

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

> Aaron, Ed or Dave (since you 3 are the main hardware suppliers): Whatcha got?another 2-3 clients to come on board. :)

a Mac Quadra 950 running A/UX

Re: [Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

David White-2
LOL

On 5/10/2017 9:53 PM, David White wrote:
> At this point, it's only a remote possibility, but I'm running through
> some calculations right now, and think I'm getting to the borderline
> point of ROI for maintaining my own hardware vs. renting cloud space.
>
> If I decide to invest in my own hardware, I'll need a pair of servers
> (for HA VMWare fail-over), each with 32GB RAM.
>
> Used is fine, as long as they are decent. I'll put SSDs into them.

I believe you mean you need shared storage to enable fail-over/HA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-1U-Server-E5540-4-Core-32GB-RAM-SAS-PERC6i-1PS-2-Tray-/182363993998?hash=item2a75bdb78e:g:TD8AAOSw5cNYHNMv

$219.71/each delivered.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159843-REG/synology_diskstation_ds1515_5_bay_nas.html

$1094.00 delivered.  I prefer at least the 2xxx-RP models, but you're
just getting started.  Note, that's with 5 x 2TB spiny drives, not SSDs.

So.... ~$1500 in hardware that you hopefully can ROI over 3 years.

Re: [Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

Stephen Kraus
I've got those R710s Aaron brought down, one has a single CPU and the other has no CPUS, but I just updated all the firmware.

On May 11, 2017 9:33 AM, "Dave Brockman" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/10/2017 9:53 PM, David White wrote:
> At this point, it's only a remote possibility, but I'm running through
> some calculations right now, and think I'm getting to the borderline
> point of ROI for maintaining my own hardware vs. renting cloud space.
>
> If I decide to invest in my own hardware, I'll need a pair of servers
> (for HA VMWare fail-over), each with 32GB RAM.
>
> Used is fine, as long as they are decent. I'll put SSDs into them.

I believe you mean you need shared storage to enable fail-over/HA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R610-1U-Server-E5540-4-Core-32GB-RAM-SAS-PERC6i-1PS-2-Tray-/182363993998?hash=item2a75bdb78e:g:TD8AAOSw5cNYHNMv

$219.71/each delivered.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1159843-REG/synology_diskstation_ds1515_5_bay_nas.html

$1094.00 delivered.  I prefer at least the 2xxx-RP models, but you're
just getting started.  Note, that's with 5 x 2TB spiny drives, not SSDs.

So.... ~$1500 in hardware that you hopefully can ROI over 3 years.

Re: [Chugalug] (Possibly Looking for) Servers

Correct, I need 2 VMWare servers on the front end, along with at least 1 machine in the back for shared storage - although getting the storage in a HA setup too wouldn't be a bad idea.

It was the need for that 3rd server (plus the extra cost for the extra U's it'll take co-locating somewhere) that I think will put me over the edge and make it not worth-my-while right now.

I'm still considering my options though. Another 2-3 clients on the managed VPS service I provide might do the trick.