[Chugalug] Power Mac G5

DaWorm
I picked up a Power Mac G5 system at an estate sale this weekend.  It includes the silver tower that weighs about 1,000 lbs, the Apple Studio display 17" (4x3 aspect) monitor, keyboard and mouse.  I hooked everything up and it all seems to work except it either doesn't have an optical drive or if it does have one it doesn't work (haven't opened the box to see).  I had to hack the main account password to get access to iOS.  It has the last release available for PowerPC, Leopard.  It has Adobe Photoshop and MS Office installed registered to the late owner.  It is missing the antenna for the wifi, but I used a bread tie hack I found online and it works well enough to get connected to my home router.  I downloaded tenfourfox browser (essentially the latest Firefox compiled for PPC since Firefox doesn't support PPC anymore) and was able to browse just fine.  I quickly reached the limits of what I know how to do with a Mac.  Toyed with the idea of installing Linux on it, but none of the Debian/Ubuntu based distros I usually use support PowerPC anymore, and after my experience installing Gentoo on a Sparc based Sun, I don't really want to run that, nor did I want to run an older distro.  So I gave up on that idea.

My question is, does anyone want it?  I bought it mainly to keep it out of the dumpster, and I doubt I'll ever actually use it for anything.  I've got half a dozen desktops now that I never power up, and I don't particularly need another, especially one running an OS that isn't really supported anymore. Maybe if I knew how to use Photoshop I'd have a use for it, but I don't.

Not really looking to make money off of it, but I would at least like to get what I paid for it back plus a little gas money if I have to haul it to meet someone.

Let me know if you're interested, or if you need me to check anything else such as HD size, RAM, etc..

  Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] Power Mac G5

Ed King-2

hmmm, if I had another one I could make a cool table...

https://laughingsquid.com/beautifully-simple-furniture-made-from-apple-power-mac-g5-cases-wood-and-glass/

[...]

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures