[Chugalug] Production Russian Roulette

Michael Scholten
A coworker sent me this and to be honest I sweated a little just looking at it. On the other hand I may have found a new comic strip...

tl:dr
root@server:~#
[ $[ $RANDOM % 6] == 0 ] && rm -rf || echo "Lucky boy";

Re: [Chugalug] Production Russian Roulette

Lynn Dixon
I don't know what systems you guys are running, but RHEL has had some protections from idiots doing rm -rf /  for a while now:

Last login: Wed May 10 22:51:45 2017
[root@rhel72-vm01 ~]# rm -rvf /
rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe
[root@rhel72-vm01 ~]#

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Michael Scholten <[hidden email]> wrote:
A coworker sent me this and to be honest I sweated a little just looking at it. On the other hand I may have found a new comic strip...

tl:dr
root@server:~#
[ $[ $RANDOM % 6] == 0 ] && rm -rf || echo "Lucky boy";

Re: [Chugalug] Production Russian Roulette

Jon Nyx
On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 9:55 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [root@rhel72-vm01 ~]# rm -rvf /
> rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on ‘/’
> rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

...so RHEL leaves the safety on by default.