[Chugalug] Puppet vs Chef vs ???

John Alcock
Any opinions?

I was always a puppet fan.  However, I am wondering if now is a good time to change.

Going to be for managing 100% Linux based machines.  Mostly Debian based, but a couple of Centos instances as well.

John

Re: [Chugalug] Puppet vs Chef vs ???

DaWorm
Don't do it!  Your systems will end up bork borked!

Jeff.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:09 AM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:43 AM, John Alcock <[hidden email]> wrote:
Any opinions?

I was always a puppet fan.  However, I am wondering if now is a good time to change.

Going to be for managing 100% Linux based machines.  Mostly Debian based, but a couple of Centos instances as well.

John

Re: [Chugalug] Puppet vs Chef vs ???

Lynn Dixon

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
Don't do it!  Your systems will end up bork borked!

Jeff.

HAHA! This made me giggle this morning!  And now everytime I jack up a system using puppet, Ansible or Chef I will hear that stupid chef "BORK BORK"...

But on a serious note, if you are wanting just straight configuration management, I would recommend Puppet.  It does config management really well.  There is a fine gray line between config management and automation, and its a line that can get smeared pretty easily.

Puppet CAN do automation workflows, but its not what it is strongest at, its strongest proposition is straight config management.  I like it because its much easier to manage and report on config drifts.

However, if I am needing to do automation workflows, I would choose Ansible.  While Ansible, CAN do configuration management, its a tool best used for doing automations.  It is very much "state machine" like and for automating deployments, large changes, etc its my go-to tool of choice.  Its really easy to learn and use, playbooks are very straightforward and easy to read, and its agentless on your end clients, using SSH.

Re: [Chugalug] Puppet vs Chef vs ???

Dee Holtsclaw
If it matters, our DevOps group uses Chef. I'm exceedingly happy that
_someone else_ has to deal with this kind of thing these days. No
offense, mind you.

On 02/14/2017 10:35 AM, Lynn Dixon wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM, DaWorm <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Don't do it!  Your systems will end up bork borked!
>
>     Jeff.
>

> HAHA! This made me giggle this morning!  And now everytime I jack up a
> system using puppet, Ansible or Chef I will hear that stupid chef
> "BORK BORK"...
>
> But on a serious note, if you are wanting just straight configuration
> management, I would recommend Puppet.  It does config management
> really well.  There is a fine gray line between config management and
> automation, and its a line that can get smeared pretty easily.
>
> Puppet CAN do automation workflows, but its not what it is strongest
> at, its strongest proposition is straight config management.  I like
> it because its much easier to manage and report on config drifts.
>
> However, if I am needing to do automation workflows, I would choose
> Ansible.  While Ansible, CAN do configuration management, its a tool
> best used for doing automations.  It is very much "state machine" like
> and for automating deployments, large changes, etc its my go-to tool
> of choice.  Its really easy to learn and use, playbooks are very
> straightforward and easy to read, and its agentless on your end
> clients, using SSH.

Re: [Chugalug] Puppet vs Chef vs ???

Andrew Rodgers-2
Ansible vote here