[Chugalug] Rackspace contact?

David White-2
Does anyone have a legal contact at Rackspace?

Messy situation: An organization that has just recently contracted with me also recently terminated their director. They didn't tell me that it was coming, although I had my suspicions. One day I was on site with them finishing up some work, shaking hands with the director, and the next day, I was told to disable his accounts.

The director setup email accounts at Rackspace, and won't give the organization access to the account. Luckily, we were already migrating the organization's email to a different email provider, and I was able to go into each employee's email and manually backup / migrate into the new email provider.

Unfortunately, it sounds like Rackspace is being a pain, and is refusing to work with the current board & directors to give them control over the existing account. Someone else is heading up all of that, but has apparently sent 17 faxes, and has spent several hours on the phone with various reps at Rackspace tech support and legal.

They're not budging, and are being extremely difficult to work with.

I've advised my client to look into getting a court order, because I'm completely out of ideas outside of the legal route.

Any suggestions, or does anyone know of someone at Rackspace who might be able to help? I suppose part of the issue is that Rackspace doesn't want to play ball, since the organization is switching email providers....

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

Re: [Chugalug] Rackspace contact?

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
File suit and request a subpoena.

-Alex

Sent with Mailtrack

wes

Re: [Chugalug] Rackspace contact?

On Mon, 15 May 2017 22:18:14 -0400
David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Any suggestions, or does anyone know of someone at Rackspace who
> might be able to help? I suppose part of the issue is that Rackspace
> doesn't want to play ball, since the organization is switching email
> providers....

I would guess that Rackspace also doesn't want to play ball because of
privacy policies and no strong notion of who the customer is. If the
director's name is the one on the account, then, yeah, Rackspace could
be opening themselves up to a world of legal hurt if they just pass
that on to someone else.

$EMPLOYER[-1] is an ISP that has colo stuff, and they're legendary
for dealing softly with employee screw-ups. In training (which was a 2
week course, mostly for front line support people, I went through it
because I was writing software to support the front-line support
people) it was emphasized over and over again that there'd been two
firings for screw-ups in the (2+decade) history of the company, and they
were for providing account change services to people who weren't
properly vetted.

(One of those cases was a stolen domain name. So, yeah: these things
can have huge economic consequences.)

Ask Rackspace what they need to see from you, and get that. It may be a
court order, and you may have to get one. No rancor involved in that,
it's just "yes, company policy requires that we can't transfer this
account ownership information without a court order."