[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi Shenanigans Begin

[Chugalug] Raspberry Pi Shenanigans Begin

Chad Smith
After the announcement of the RP0W - I... bought a Raspberry Pi 3 B.

It made sense at the time....

It arrived today.  Probably just going to focus on retro gaming.... because... i guess emulators don't work on any of the other dozen or more electronic devices that I own...

I'm seriously beginning to question my motivations here....

Regardless, I finally have a Raspberry Pi!  Yay!  :D

Re: [Chugalug] Raspberry Pi Shenanigans Begin

Andy Burnett
Chad,

I'm no Linux expert, but do have RetroPie running and configured nicely on my rPi 3B with n64, psx, snes, nes, and genesis roms.  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to take a crack at them.

Alternatively, go ahead and configure your rPi up and I'll be asking YOU the questions in a few weeks.

Andy

Re: [Chugalug] Raspberry Pi Shenanigans Begin

Bret McHone
I use an older Raspberry Pi B+ running OctoPi to manage my 3D printer. It works beautifully! I just get my wife to remove my prints and I can start new ones remotely and visually monitor it via the camera on the pi.

My Raspberry Pi3 is used as a mobile digital mode platform that I can run out of my battery bank for Ham Radio with a small display. I hope to get a nice 7" touch screen display for it at some point, but that's farther down the road..

I've also used one to monitor an incubator we built for chickens that gave me a way to see them and monitor temperatures. Though I think it would have been great to heater controls into it. Maybe a project for next time.

I've also debated using them for signage at work.

They are versatile little things!

-B

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:36 PM, Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chad,

I'm no Linux expert, but do have RetroPie running and configured nicely on
my rPi 3B with n64, psx, snes, nes, and genesis roms.  If you have any
questions, I'd be happy to take a crack at them.

Alternatively, go ahead and configure your rPi up and I'll be asking YOU the
questions in a few weeks.

Andy

Re: [Chugalug] Raspberry Pi Shenanigans Begin

Chad Smith
I have had some trouble getting my Pi to connect to my WiFi....  I was using Raspbian (it came with the kit I bought) but I am downloading RetroPie at the moment - so maybe that will help.

In the meantime - any WiFi advice to a RPi Noob?

- Chad W. Smith

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Bret McHone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'd go ahead and expand RetroPie onto your SD card, then try connecting to WiFi through the Emulation Station / RetroPie interface.  I've done that with two RPis now (gave one away as a Christmas gift), and WiFi worked fine both times.  You don't technically need WiFi to use RetroPie, but I find it easier to load roms over the network rather than through a USB stick.  Some call it lazy, but I call it working smarter.

FYI, if you run a full package/distro upgrade it can take 20-40 minutes.  Be warned if you're wanting to play games and figure you'll just update everything "real quick" beforehand.

Andy