[Chugalug] Retooling... Home Entertainment - Linux Centric ?

[Chugalug] Retooling... Home Entertainment - Linux Centric ?

Kite, Mike

I have a similar setup to Mr. Wolf's Plex/Roku setup.  Wish I could get the Plex when I'm away from home, but I think EPB must be blocking it, as I can't attach to it.
I'm not pleased with the Plex client for OSX, but it works oddly well with iOS and Roku.

Re: [Chugalug] Retooling... Home Entertainment - Linux Centric ?

Nick Smith
I have no problem accessing my plex server from anywhere.  I took a roku on vacation with me on vacation and had no problems once i got it connected to wifi. ( plex server is at home on epb)
You have to open port 32400 on your firewall for your plex server and register it with the my.plexapp.com site on your account. Ive been using it for years and am a life time plexpass member.
You can also login to my.plexapp.com and stream your video from chrome without the client, the client is kinda clunky and i didnt like it. It looks alot better through the web interface, more like netflix.

Plex is the best media server software by FAR ive ever found, it beats anything else, hands down IMHO.

If you have any questions or problems id be glad to help.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Kite, Mike <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have a similar setup to Mr. Wolf's Plex/Roku setup.  Wish I could get the Plex when I'm away from home, but I think EPB must be blocking it, as I can't attach to it.
I'm not pleased with the Plex client for OSX, but it works oddly well with iOS and Roku.

Re: [Chugalug] Retooling... Home Entertainment - Linux Centric ?

Lynn Dixon
Another Plex Lifetime PlexPass member here!  I love me some Plex on my Roku!
I also take my Roku with me when I travel since its tiny enough to fit almost in your pocket.  Android app is pretty good as well.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Harrison
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013, Lynn Dixon wrote:

> Another Plex Lifetime PlexPass member here!  I love me some Plex on my Roku!I also take my Roku with me
> when I travel since its tiny enough to fit almost in your pocket.  Android app is pretty good as well.

Hmm.. learned something. Never heard of Plex http://plexapp.com

I gotta admit, I don't care about remote access to TV/Movies when
travelling, got too much else to do. But the Plex Media Server looks
pretty good, will have to give it a try. They even have a Linux version :)

Been looking at hardware for drives and sound, looks like my best long
term solution is to separate out the sound system amp/speakers.
I'm trying to simplify... with high quality stuff that will last
a few generations of other technology.

Re: [Chugalug] Retooling... Home Entertainment - Linux Centric ?

They even have an ARM Linux version if you have an ARM powered something around, but it takes a fair bit of power.