[Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Michael Harrison

Am just exploring some strange ideas, and playing with a couple of Ubuntu 18.04 instances which has me bumping into “snaps”.

Are any of ya’ll using them as a “consumer”.

Are any of ya’ll creating snap’s ?

I’m trying to figure out why, for example, I would install VLC from a “snap” rather than: apt-get install vlc…

—Mike--

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
I haven't heard of this, but it sounds like a great idea. Not everyone uses Debian-based distros, like you, and having support for other distros is a positive thing.

I personally had bad first experiences with Debian and Ubuntu. Turned me off on them almost forever.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 6:00 AM Michael Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am just exploring some strange ideas, and playing with a couple of Ubuntu 18.04 instances which has me bumping into “snaps”.

Are any of ya’ll using them as a “consumer”.

Are any of ya’ll creating snap’s ?

I’m trying to figure out why, for example, I would install VLC from a “snap” rather than: apt-get install vlc…

—Mike--

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Jared
From what I understand, usually a system can only have one version of a dependency on a system at a time.

Snaps, however, are "containerized" and act like they are running within their own operating system. Since it exists in a sandbox, snaps can install whatever dependencies it needs to run without worrying if it conflicts with anything else on the system.

Apt will install dependencies system-wide, and package maintainers have to ensure that what they bring to users will be flexible enough to work with the user's other programs which might have strict dependency requirements.

Snap seems strong for package maintainers, since you would not have to worry about targeting multiple platforms. No need to worry about the dependencies for your package since they can all be pulled together.

However, this could take up some space on the user's system, since eventually you could have 6 copies of gcc.

Regards,
Jared

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:00 AM, Michael Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am just exploring some strange ideas, and playing with a couple of Ubuntu 18.04 instances which has me bumping into “snaps”.

Are any of ya’ll using them as a “consumer”.

Are any of ya’ll creating snap’s ?

I’m trying to figure out why, for example, I would install VLC from a “snap” rather than: apt-get install vlc…

—Mike--

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

oh no...    not another layer of abstraction

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Aaron welch
Ed I figured you would be thrilled with us moving back to mainframe days. Pretty much everything is heading towards containers these days.

-Aaron

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Jan 7, 2019, at 8:32 AM, Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:

oh no...    not another layer of abstraction

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Ed King-2
I wont be thrilled until I get a COBOL container with a tape drive and green phosphor terminal

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:52 AM, Ed King  wrote:
I wont be thrilled until I get a COBOL container with a tape drive and green phosphor terminal

Laughing. Yeah, not sure it goes that deep. Like you, I have issues with the abstraction layers, but I have a product that I've been asked to make an ISO and/or VM-Images of.. and the SNAP/Docker concept is interesting as an alternative. What I didn't see was a bunch of Chugalug crazies going: I LOVE MY SNAP's..  Of course, Ginger Snaps are still awesome.

My old geeky thought:
The "container" concept is thriving because so many developers and "devops" people don't understand the inner workings of things, they want "lego blocks" they can snap together to build stuff.

My fear: Those blocks essentially freeze code/libraries from being upgraded and present a huge liability as they get stacked upon.

But then, abstractly, so is a bare metal "traditional" OS and system.

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Michael Harrison

I haven’t installed any non-base snaps, yet. Any general purpose snap (not very specific to a project you are working on) you’d recommend trying?

Been so busy building the new ring-u offices, I’m kinda jonesing chilling and exploring some tech...

On Feb 26, 2019, at 11:00 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I use snaps a lot. Very convenient. If a vendor provides snap packages then I tend to gravitate towards those rather than a deb package. Much easier to install and deal with.

Re: [Chugalug] SNAP Curious

Sean Brewer
Snap packages I use day to day: Datagrip (JetBrains tool for working with databases), slack, chromium, and insomnia.

I did have the snap for KeePassXC installed briefly, but I had issues with it and my yubikey so switched back to the non-snap version.