[Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

[Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Jonathan Calloway
All,

A friend is selling me a Samsung EVO 960 NVMe PCIx card.  I am trying to get it going in VMWare ESXi.  I’d like to use it as virtual flash for a couple of VM’s.  However, I’ve got a small problem.  It shows up under PCI Devices, but I cannot add it as a data store.

Do I need to format it somehow?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: [Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Dave Brockman
On 8/28/2017 6:25 PM, Jonathan Calloway wrote:
> All,
>
> A friend is selling me a Samsung EVO 960 NVMe PCIx card.  I am trying to get it going in VMWare ESXi.  I’d like to use it as virtual flash for a couple of VM’s.  However, I’ve got a small problem.  It shows up under PCI Devices, but I cannot add it as a data store.
>
> Do I need to format it somehow?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jonathan

I don't see EVO 960 in the product matrix, does that translate to a
different SM/PM/XS Part number?

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=io&details=1&deviceTypes=22&page=1&display_interval=500&sortColumn=Partner&sortOrder=Asc&bookmark=1

Re: [Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Jonathan Calloway
I don’t see it in the list either.  However, if I issue ls /vmfs/devices/disks, I get the following output:

t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:1
t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:2
t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:3
t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:4

<JC>

On 8/28/2017 6:50 PM, Jonathan Calloway wrote:

> I don’t see it in the list either.  However, if I issue ls
> /vmfs/devices/disks, I get the following output:
>

> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:1
> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:2
> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:3
> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:4
>

> <JC>
I don't have any direct experience with ESXi & NVMe devices, but it was
my understanding that you needed a device specific driver in addition to
the built-in device-type support added in 5.5+.

Re: [Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Jonathan Calloway
I’m wondering if the guy didn’t ‘wipe’ it, and am looking for a way to do that using esxcli.

<JC>

> On Aug 28, 2017, at 6:56 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 8/28/2017 6:50 PM, Jonathan Calloway wrote:
>> I don’t see it in the list either.  However, if I issue ls
>> /vmfs/devices/disks, I get the following output:
>>

>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:1
>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:2
>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:3
>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:4
>>

>> <JC>
>
> I don't have any direct experience with ESXi & NVMe devices, but it was
> my understanding that you needed a device specific driver in addition to
> the built-in device-type support added in 5.5+.
>
> Regards,
>
> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Dave Brockman
Formatting is going to suck with this, should be four commands below:

partedUtil delete
/vmfs/devices/disks/t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500
1

2

3

partedUtil delete
/vmfs/devices/disks/t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500
4

Regards,

--dtb

On 8/28/2017 6:57 PM, Jonathan Calloway wrote:

> I’m wondering if the guy didn’t ‘wipe’ it, and am looking for a way to do that using esxcli.
>
> <JC>
>

>> On Aug 28, 2017, at 6:56 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 8/28/2017 6:50 PM, Jonathan Calloway wrote:
>>> I don’t see it in the list either.  However, if I issue ls
>>> /vmfs/devices/disks, I get the following output:
>>>

>>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:1
>>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:2
>>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:3
>>> t10.NVMe____Samsung_SSD_960_EVO_250GB_______________B624B0615C382500:4
>>>

>>> <JC>
>>
>> I don't have any direct experience with ESXi & NVMe devices, but it was
>> my understanding that you needed a device specific driver in addition to
>> the built-in device-type support added in 5.5+.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Samsung EVO 960 NVMe Drive and ESXi

Jonathan Calloway
This worked. . .

Thanks!

<JC>