[Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

[Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Dan Lyke
We were burgled. I'm kicking myself for not having put up cameras years
ago. It's time. I'm thinking Zoneminder on my house server, and a bunch
of IP cameras.

I was kind of thinking one camera on either side of the house (the
person who entered apparently came through a back gate), one at the
front door, maybe one with a wider view of the street (we've also had a
drunk driving issue or two, a neighbor's fence has been hit twice).

I'm digging through Newegg for cameras with outdoor housings and I'm
seeing some reasonably well regarded TRENDnet POE cameras for about
$140 for a 2 pack. Although I'm also not sure how to deal with higher
resolution. There's a GW4037IP 2492x1920 camera at $96.

And maybe even a 5th in the back yard, though I could probably also
hook the Foscam camera I've got in the shop back up.

So, any suggestions for "just go buy this"? If I buy something POE,
what's a good 4 channel POE injector? (I currently use the Ubiquiti
APs, but that's apparently a proprietary POE)

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Dave Brockman
On 1/24/2018 12:10 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:
> So, any suggestions for "just go buy this"? If I buy something POE,
> what's a good 4 channel POE injector? (I currently use the Ubiquiti
> APs, but that's apparently a proprietary POE)

I second the recommendation request.  Non-Pro UBNT Access Points use a
passive 24V PoE.  Unifi or Edgeswitch switches support it.  I tend to
use Cisco SMB SG300-10[M|P]P for small PoE injection needs.

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Nick Smith
I would also like to see some recommendations.
Ive been looking for a better solution but there is so much crap out there.

I have several of these YI Home cameras currently.  (they werent as cheap when i purchased them)

They have been "ok" nothing i could recommend.  I was not able to get them working with zoneminder. only 720p etc.

They make an out door enclosure for the nest cam that kinda works for it, doesnt fit perfectly but it gets the job done. (screws up the night vision though)
They have a half baked desktop app for windows but the default way to view them is via the phone app.
They offer cloud recording as well if you need offsite, i just use the internal SD card.
They also only do wifi, so you will need a good signal in the area you plan to put them if you want the camera image to actually load heh.
Honestly, im kinda doubting the 720p specs as its hard to make out faces or tag numbers from the video.

I see they have 1080p now and a dedicated outdoor camera but i havnt used any of those.

So there is what not to buy in case you were looking at them. haha.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/24/2018 12:10 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:
> So, any suggestions for "just go buy this"? If I buy something POE,
> what's a good 4 channel POE injector? (I currently use the Ubiquiti
> APs, but that's apparently a proprietary POE)

I second the recommendation request.  Non-Pro UBNT Access Points use a
passive 24V PoE.  Unifi or Edgeswitch switches support it.  I tend to
use Cisco SMB SG300-10[M|P]P for small PoE injection needs.

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Ashley Wilson
I use this:
with:

Pretty reliable, works over wifi, and there are PoE injectors/splitters that work well for the R-Pi.

The camera ships all images (GPG-encrypted) to S3, so there's no DVR to be stolen.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Nick Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would also like to see some recommendations.
Ive been looking for a better solution but there is so much crap out there.

I have several of these YI Home cameras currently.  (they werent as cheap when i purchased them)

They have been "ok" nothing i could recommend.  I was not able to get them working with zoneminder. only 720p etc.

They make an out door enclosure for the nest cam that kinda works for it, doesnt fit perfectly but it gets the job done. (screws up the night vision though)
They have a half baked desktop app for windows but the default way to view them is via the phone app.
They offer cloud recording as well if you need offsite, i just use the internal SD card.
They also only do wifi, so you will need a good signal in the area you plan to put them if you want the camera image to actually load heh.
Honestly, im kinda doubting the 720p specs as its hard to make out faces or tag numbers from the video.

I see they have 1080p now and a dedicated outdoor camera but i havnt used any of those.

So there is what not to buy in case you were looking at them. haha.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 1:44 PM, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 1/24/2018 12:10 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:
> So, any suggestions for "just go buy this"? If I buy something POE,
> what's a good 4 channel POE injector? (I currently use the Ubiquiti
> APs, but that's apparently a proprietary POE)

I second the recommendation request.  Non-Pro UBNT Access Points use a
passive 24V PoE.  Unifi or Edgeswitch switches support it.  I tend to
use Cisco SMB SG300-10[M|P]P for small PoE injection needs.

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Dan Lyke
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use this:
> https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam
> with:
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yJKf2lDUH_GOy6Z-DqnVO9qUa4FpPftUxT16UQ0wik3g1-PXODvTHYaAqJOEALw_wcB

So to that I'd need to add a network adapter? And a weather capable
housing (which I can do, but it's a bit of work).

> Pretty reliable, works over wifi, and there are PoE
> injectors/splitters that work well for the R-Pi.

Yeah, I can probably figure out how to get power to these things,
though it'd be nice to do that with relatively low voltages, and I
don't think a 20' USB cable is the right way to do that...

Even with a camera pointed at the street, I can set up a cron job to
clean out s3 occasionally. I suppose pictures are okay, given that
they'll be way higher quality than the video.

wes

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use this:
> https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam
> with:
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yJKf2lDUH_GOy6Z-DqnVO9qUa4FpPftUxT16UQ0wik3g1-PXODvTHYaAqJOEALw_wcB

Doh, just realized possible problem with that: Not strong in the IR
range, so I'd have to have some sort of lighting solution.

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Stephen Kraus
Less Open Source, but I manage the IT for a local auto shop in Atlanta, and we set them up with Nest Cameras, and there are PoE adapters you can get for them.

We've been thoroughly impressed, and the price isn't terrible for their plans.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use this:
> https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam
> with:
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yJKf2lDUH_GOy6Z-DqnVO9qUa4FpPftUxT16UQ0wik3g1-PXODvTHYaAqJOEALw_wcB

Doh, just realized possible problem with that: Not strong in the IR
range, so I'd have to have some sort of lighting solution.

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 14:33:00 -0800
wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For whatever it may be worth, my local user group put on a
> presentation on this subject a couple years ago. Here are the slides
> the presenter used:
>
> http://pdxlinux.org/2016-02-16-ZoneMinder.pdf

Thanks, a couple of good takeaways in there, so far that I was reminded
about the value of IR, and that I've been meaning to check into
Backblaze for a while, and this uses it, so I now have fewer excuses.

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use this:
> https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam
> with:
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yJKf2lDUH_GOy6Z-DqnVO9qUa4FpPftUxT16UQ0wik3g1-PXODvTHYaAqJOEALw_wcB

I have ordered one of these and a conventional IR security camera (and
a POE switch...), will evaluate and continue with one strategy or the
other...

May or may not involve Zoneminder in the mess, because the email or FTP
stills may be sufficient.

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Ashley Wilson
Let me know how it turns out for you.  My only feedback is my own experience :-)

It also works with other Pi devices, and probably the Odroid spectrum as well.

On Jan 26, 2018 10:47 AM, "Dan Lyke" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 11:36:43 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I use this:
> https://github.com/ashmastaflash/cam
> with:
> https://www.adafruit.com/product/3414?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-qDTBRD-ARIsAJ_10yJKf2lDUH_GOy6Z-DqnVO9qUa4FpPftUxT16UQ0wik3g1-PXODvTHYaAqJOEALw_wcB

I have ordered one of these and a conventional IR security camera (and
a POE switch...), will evaluate and continue with one strategy or the
other...

May or may not involve Zoneminder in the mess, because the email or FTP
stills may be sufficient.

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Dan Lyke
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:50:06 -0800
Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Let me know how it turns out for you.  My only feedback is my own
> experience :-)

That's better than your average Amazon reviewer who is probably
working in some Bangladesh sweatshop for the fly by night Chinese
manufacturer...

> It also works with other Pi devices, and probably the Odroid spectrum
> as well.

I may add some USB sensors to the device, but I like the idea of "buy
this, put it in a housing, give it power" (I bought a couple of $7 POE
to USB micro converters off of Alibaba to power it).

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

John Aldrich-3
My (limited) experience - my dad's house was being used by some folks (and they stole his tools, etc) for parties, etc. I put up some dummy cameras and they stopped breaking in. Cheap solution if it works.

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018, at 2:36 PM, Dan Lyke wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:50:06 -0800
> Ashley Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Let me know how it turns out for you.  My only feedback is my own
> > experience :-)
>
> That's better than your average Amazon reviewer who is probably
> working in some Bangladesh sweatshop for the fly by night Chinese
> manufacturer...
>
> > It also works with other Pi devices, and probably the Odroid spectrum
> > as well.
>
> I may add some USB sensors to the device, but I like the idea of "buy
> this, put it in a housing, give it power" (I bought a couple of $7 POE
> to USB micro converters off of Alibaba to power it).
>
> Dan

Re: [Chugalug] Security camera & POE recommendations, probably for Zoneminder

Dan Lyke
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 14:43:17 -0500
John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My (limited) experience - my dad's house was being used by some folks
> (and they stole his tools, etc) for parties, etc. I put up some dummy
> cameras and they stopped breaking in. Cheap solution if it works.

I've been threatening to put up some cameras for years, because we've
had a few other neighborhood incidents where a neighbor's fence got
broken in the middle of the night, probably a drunk driver, and it also
might be nice to apply a little OpenCV to some imagery to catch
speeders (though I don't know if anything I put up will have the
resolution necessary to read license plates).

So there are other reasons to put up real cameras.

And: It's been 10 years that we've lived here without incident, so
these things are statistically rare enough that it's hard to gauge
deterrence.