[Chugalug] Small Cell Bill

Jonathan Calloway
Anyone get an email from ATT urging you to request that your Congress person support something called the Small Cell Bill?

Just felt odd ....

Re: [Chugalug] Small Cell Bill

Dan Lyke
On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 11:06:05 -0500
Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyone get an email from ATT urging you to request that your Congress
> person support something called the Small Cell Bill?

The "WiFi causes cancer" cranks have been in high dudgeon on NextDoor
over something related to small cells, just extrapolating: I suspect
that this is an attempt to get federal rules that overrule local rules
on home-based cells, deployed for coverage in terrain where you just
can't get good coverage from a big centralized tower.

Re: [Chugalug] Small Cell Bill

DaWorm

"All four major wireless carriers in the U.S. are looking to small cells to improve coverage and increase capacity in advance of 5G buildouts. The antennas, which can be as small as a lunchbox, can be placed on “street furniture” such as lampposts or traffic lights as well as on the sides of buildings or other objects. And they sometimes require the installation of new poles that can be 120 feet or taller.

Zoning and permitting headaches have slowed the small cell market. Some municipalities are fighting small cell deployments based on concerns over aesthetics, noise, rights-of-way issues and other worries."