[Chugalug] TLD Suffix Rules

Eric Wolf
Odd question:

Does anyone know if TLD Suffix can contain numbers?

For instance, can I have ".abc123" as a TLD suffix?

Reading through the ICANN rules for gTLDs, it sounds like numbers are acceptable as long as the suffix isn't confusing (no .c0m). Restricted characters include symbols and "structural punctuation".

Reference RFPs or other authoritative docs would be appreciated.

-Eric

Re: [Chugalug] TLD Suffix Rules

Dave Brockman
On 9/27/2018 4:57 PM, Eric Wolf wrote:

> Odd question:
>
> Does anyone know if TLD Suffix can contain numbers?
>
> For instance, can I have ".abc123" as a TLD suffix?
>
> Reading through the ICANN rules for gTLDs, it sounds like numbers are
> acceptable as long as the suffix isn't confusing (no .c0m). Restricted
> characters include symbols and "structural punctuation".
>
> Reference RFPs or other authoritative docs would be appreciated.
I *believe* RFC3986 is still relevant, and I believe it states there are
no technical restrictions for TLDs differing from any other label
(domains, sub-domains). And, I believe the translation of certain
Chinese TLDs into our charsets are xn-?????? and those often contain
numbers.

Cheers,

-Dave