[Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

Mike Harrison-4

Hopefully, this works.

I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which [hidden email] uses as a mail host.

So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.

IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.

—Mike-

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

Bret McHone
Thank you sir, we all appreciate what you do!

-B

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hopefully, this works.

I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;chugalug@chugalug.org&#39;)">chugalug@... uses as a mail host.

So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.

IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.

—Mike-

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

You're coming in 5 by 5 there good buddy....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hopefully, this works.
>
> I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which [hidden email] uses as a mail host.
>
> So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.
>
> IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.
>
> —Mike-

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

David White-2
Coming in loud and clear, sir.

Except you have 2 issues. See attached.
1) You're not sending over TLS (from the new mail server to gmail, which is my hosting provider)
  • To turn this on in Postfix, set the following variable inside /etc/postfix/main.cf
    smtp_tls_security_level = may

2) Not sure how you would fix that fishing message.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're coming in 5 by 5 there good buddy....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hopefully, this works.
>
> I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which [hidden email] uses as a mail host.
>
> So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.
>
> IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.
>
> —Mike-

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

geeklabs-result.png (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

Right now, when I hit "Reply" it goes to the person who sent the last email - instead of to Chugalug.  Meaning to reply to the list I have to select "Reply All".

That's not how it used to work, is it?

It'snot a big deal for me, someone who posts once every two or three months - but for active users that could get frustrating.  Also people might just (and probably will) hit reply and not notice that it is only going to one person - and content will be lost for the whole group.

Also some people might get the posts twice if "reply all" is used and their mail server / client doesn't know to look for that sort of thing.  And if the person before me replied to a reply to a reply to a reply - you get more and more names to the "reply all" list.

FYI.

Thanks for hosting the site / list for all these years.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're coming in 5 by 5 there good buddy....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hopefully, this works.
>
> I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which [hidden email] uses as a mail host.
>
> So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.
>
> IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.
>
> —Mike-

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

I didn't get the first email from Mike, but all the rest are coming through. Also like Chad reply = previous sender, reply all = previous sender cc:list.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 8:41 AM, Chad Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Right now, when I hit "Reply" it goes to the person who sent the last email - instead of to Chugalug.  Meaning to reply to the list I have to select "Reply All".

That's not how it used to work, is it?

It'snot a big deal for me, someone who posts once every two or three months - but for active users that could get frustrating.  Also people might just (and probably will) hit reply and not notice that it is only going to one person - and content will be lost for the whole group.

Also some people might get the posts twice if "reply all" is used and their mail server / client doesn't know to look for that sort of thing.  And if the person before me replied to a reply to a reply to a reply - you get more and more names to the "reply all" list.

FYI.

Thanks for hosting the site / list for all these years.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Jonathan Calloway <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're coming in 5 by 5 there good buddy....

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hopefully, this works.
>
> I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which [hidden email] uses as a mail host.
>
> So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.
>
> IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.
>
> —Mike-

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 8:41 AM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Coming in loud and clear, sir.
>
> Except you have 2 issues. See attached.
> 1) You're not sending over TLS (from the new mail server to gmail, which is my hosting provider)
> • To turn this on in Postfix, set the following variable inside /etc/postfix/main.cf:
> smtp_tls_security_level = may
>
> 2) Not sure how you would fix that fishing message.

TLS/SSL is on the list.
I am in process for adding DKIM and getting reverse DNS for the IPV6 address

What is surprising to me is how minimally configured Postfix and Dovecot are out of the box.
Courier-MTA is much better integrated and pre-configured in some ways. But I wanted to try this with the “standards”.

Might see some weirdness today.

Re: [Chugalug] Testing 1 2 3 4

William D. Roush

Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?

Pfft totally not me.

William Roush | www.roushtech.net

I realized this morning, I had forgotten how intertwined my technology universe was, and moved geeklabs.com to the new server, which <a href="javascript:;">chugalug@... uses as a mail host.

So.. I did a DNS-ectomy, moving Chugalug the hard way (editing named/bind files) and added the members to the new MailMan.

IF this works. everyone is added, and is is “regular user” mode. and I’ll reset people to Digest mode next.

—Mike-

[Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

Mike Harrison-4

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?

Uh… me.

This is also a check of the Reply To header. I set it to “This List”.

Thanks to all the chatter today I think I got all the mail and DNS oddities fixed.

Who decided that things in /etc/default/* OVER-RIDE the more traditional config files?

And will you bail me out of jail if I find them?

For example. I kept editing /etc/opendkim.conf  but it wasn’t working.
Why? Because /etc/default/opendkim  over-rides it.

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

Works.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?

Uh… me.

This is also a check of the Reply To header. I set it to “This List”.

Thanks to all the chatter today I think I got all the mail and DNS oddities fixed.

Who decided that things in /etc/default/* OVER-RIDE the more traditional config files?

And will you bail me out of jail if I find them?

For example. I kept editing /etc/opendkim.conf  but it wasn’t working.
Why? Because /etc/default/opendkim  over-rides it.

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

Rod-Lists
Late Night? Which part of the world you at today?

----- On Oct 11, 2016, at 4:14 PM, Mike Harrison [hidden email] wrote:

>> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?
>>

> Uh… me.
>
> This is also a check of the Reply To header. I set it to “This List”.
>
> Thanks to all the chatter today I think I got all the mail and DNS oddities
> fixed.
>
> Who decided that things in /etc/default/* OVER-RIDE the more traditional config
> files?
>
> And will you bail me out of jail if I find them?
>
> For example. I kept editing /etc/opendkim.conf  but it wasn’t working.
> Why? Because /etc/default/opendkim  over-rides it.
>
> —Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

The GoFundMe is already started for your bail and your defense fees.

(Not really, but I am sure we could make that happen if need be.)

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Wil Wade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Works.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?

Uh… me.

This is also a check of the Reply To header. I set it to “This List”.

Thanks to all the chatter today I think I got all the mail and DNS oddities fixed.

Who decided that things in /etc/default/* OVER-RIDE the more traditional config files?

And will you bail me out of jail if I find them?

For example. I kept editing /etc/opendkim.conf  but it wasn’t working.
Why? Because /etc/default/opendkim  over-rides it.

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

​Have you tried REAL distributions instead of the wimp Ubuntu-derived distros? ;)

</sarcasm> <duck>​

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2016, at 3:48 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Same here, plus who sends messages to the mailing list *that* late at night?

Uh… me.

This is also a check of the Reply To header. I set it to “This List”.

Thanks to all the chatter today I think I got all the mail and DNS oddities fixed.

Who decided that things in /etc/default/* OVER-RIDE the more traditional config files?

And will you bail me out of jail if I find them?

For example. I kept editing /etc/opendkim.conf  but it wasn’t working.
Why? Because /etc/default/opendkim  over-rides it.

—Mike—

Re: [Chugalug] Late night comment and reply to test.

Mike Harrison-3
Not recently, although I've done Arch and such, I'm more into getting things done than beating my head against the wall.

I get Minimal when I play around with embedded systems.. Pi's and Edison's.. etc..

A bare Debian server is appealing to me as a web/application server. It's on my "playing around" list.

October 12, 2016 4:05 AM, "Rod-Lists" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Late Night? Which part of the world you at today?

In Chattanooga.

Finally got my head/motivation back together. Took a nice vacation, had a couple of good friends kick me in the ass.
Been up solving core foundational problems with some things for both fun and $$$$.

Have been spitting out code so fast it'd make your head spin. It's even pretty decent looking...
(no Gary, not many comments... if you can't read code, why are you looking at it?)

About to take one more long vacation/trip, and then I'm going to get a real grind on.

On topic/productive: Anyone else been bit by MySQL no longer supporting '0000-00-00 00:00:00' as a valid default date?