[Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

[Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

Michael Scholten
I guess this means I should make sure my WAN port is gigabit on my untangle box...

https://epb.com/happyday

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

Jonathan Calloway-2

Makes me want to move back north!

<JC>

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

Andy Burnett
Dumb question, but will EPB magically change my WAN port in pfSense to
1000mbps?  My LAN ports all show 1000mbps, but my WAN port coming in from
the box outside has always shown 100mbps.  How exactly is the changeover
supposed to happen?

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

David White-2
I can tell you that you shouldn't need to reboot your router. You're not on a business circuit by any chance, are you? Businesses do not get the upgrade. Are you sure your WAN port is capable of more than 100mbps? (probably a dumb question, I know, but just making sure). What happens when you try to run a speedtest? Do you get anything over 100mbps? Typically, I see 105mbps - 110mbps even though I've only been paying for 100mbps... so if you NEVER see it go over 100mbps, I would suspect a hardware limitation or a software issue on your side.

To rule out an issue on your side, Is it possible you can test it on a different port and/or a different router?

Assuming you're on a residential circuit and you think there's an issue on EPB's side, call the main EPB  number (423-648-1372), and listen to the prompts to get routed appropriately. The helpdesk is open 24x7 and they can look at your connection.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 4:32 PM Andy Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dumb question, but will EPB magically change my WAN port in pfSense to
1000mbps?  My LAN ports all show 1000mbps, but my WAN port coming in from
the box outside has always shown 100mbps.  How exactly is the changeover
supposed to happen?

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

Aaron welch
The ONT may only be set to 100Mbit as most installs are set to 1000Mbit as far as I have seen. Just my limited experience though.

-Aaron

This was sent from my iPhone, so I apologize for any brevity or spelling errors. Siri also hates the southern accent and autocorrect is on a mission to give me an aneurysm.

On Feb 4, 2019, at 7:09 PM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You all are the best.  David is helping me work through the issue directly.
I appreciate all the help.

On 2/4/2019 4:30 PM, Andy Burnett wrote:
> Dumb question, but will EPB magically change my WAN port in pfSense to
> 1000mbps?  My LAN ports all show 1000mbps, but my WAN port coming in from
> the box outside has always shown 100mbps.  How exactly is the changeover
> supposed to happen?

EPB provides a 1Gb phy handoff, even for 100Mb circuits.  If you weren't
linking at 1Gb, then something is wrong.  Are you 100% certain the card
is a gig card?  Tried reseating and/or replacing the patch cable?

Regards,

Dave

On 2/4/2019 9:23 PM, Aaron welch wrote:
> The ONT may only be set to 100Mbit as most installs are set to 1000Mbit
> as far as I have seen. Just my limited experience though.
>
> -Aaron

I personally have never encountered an ONT set to 100Mb (that was Gig
capable, old Wave7 crap doesn't count).

-Dave

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

John Alcock
The original 421 ONT only had 100 meg interfaces.

If you are sure you have a gig interface, just call into the helpdesk.  They can determine if it is a problem and schedule to fix it.

They are really good about catching these problems.

John

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 12:18 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 2/4/2019 9:23 PM, Aaron welch wrote:
> The ONT may only be set to 100Mbit as most installs are set to 1000Mbit
> as far as I have seen. Just my limited experience though.
>
> -Aaron

I personally have never encountered an ONT set to 100Mb (that was Gig
capable, old Wave7 crap doesn't count).

-Dave

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks EPB for the Speed boost! 100Mb to 300Mb

John Dills
Seconding John. By the time I left EPB they replaced almost all of the 421s that we're all 100mbps. I guess this is why they were doing it lmao.

It could also be the punch down at the jack.