[Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

[Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Bret McHone

Tripp lite keyspan USA-19hs works great for me in Windows and osx

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Dan Lyke
There is only one chipset for USB to serial adapters: The FTDI chip.
It's the one the Arduino (prior to the Mega series) uses, it's the one
that consumer electronics devices like the Cricut and many other
devices use, it's supported on all platforms.

Something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039

http://www.adafruit.com/products/18?gclid=CjgKEAjwqMybBRCt4__j3o7Okl8SJADb23zDBLtDh7xB7Wuzu-uplVHDQx5ekxtm4_Xp93M1c-OWFPD_BwE

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Ed King
all I know is...    I've been using one of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PODFZG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to connect a dumb terminal to my raspi for the last 6 months, and it works great; no lock ups.   Rasbian OS already had the driver, I did not install one.

never tried it on Windows or Mac

end transmission

 Subject: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation
 To: "Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 10:42 AM

 I am looking for a replacement USB Serial adapter.  I
 have many PL2303
 based adapters and I'm done with the shitty drivers.  I
 can lock up a
 USB bus on Windows, Linux or Mac in a matter of minutes with
 one of
 them installed.  Can anyone recommend a USB serial
 adapter that does
 NOT use the PL2303 driver?

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

John Aldrich
Quoting Ed King <[hidden email]>:

> all I know is...    I've been using one of these
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PODFZG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> to connect a dumb terminal to my raspi for the last 6 months, and it
>  works great; no lock ups.   Rasbian OS already had the driver, I
> did  not install one.
>
> never tried it on Windows or Mac
>
> end transmission

In a similar vein, anyone got a recommendation for a good USB3 add-on card?

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

DaWorm
I do not recommend CH340 based chipsets, at least not in 64 bit Windows, as finding the correct drivers is nearly impossible.

Both my Prolific and FTDI devices work fine for what I use them for.  I usually have five or six installed at any one time.

Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

Rod-Lists
What no sshd on the raspberry? Oh I forgot. You like terminals!

On Wed, 14 May 2014 13:34:14 -0400, Ed King <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> all I know is...    I've been using one of these
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PODFZG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
> to connect a dumb terminal to my raspi for the last 6 months, and it
> works great; no lock ups.   Rasbian OS already had the driver, I did not
> install one.
>
> never tried it on Windows or Mac
>
> end transmission

> On Wed, 5/14/14, Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Subject: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation
>  To: "Chattanooga Unix Gnu Android Linux Users Group"
> <[hidden email]>
>  Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 10:42 AM
> I am looking for a replacement USB Serial adapter.  I
>  have many PL2303
>  based adapters and I'm done with the shitty drivers.  I
>  can lock up a
>  USB bus on Windows, Linux or Mac in a matter of minutes with
>  one of
>  them installed.  Can anyone recommend a USB serial
>  adapter that does
>  NOT use the PL2303 driver?
> Regards,
> dtb

The unregulated free market is like Yog-Sothoth, a mythical being whose
followers make bloody sacrifice to hasten its arrival to this world.

http://snowdenandthefuture.info/documents.html

Re: [Chugalug] USB Serial Chipset Recommendation

John Aldrich-2
On Thu May 15 2014 9:14:03 AM Dave Brockman wrote:
> On 5/14/2014 2:53 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
> > In a similar vein, anyone got a recommendation for a good USB3
> > add-on card?
>
> I have had good experience with the Manhattan USB 3.0 PCIe cards that
> Shields carries.  Work fine with bare metal Windows installs, and
> works fine with VMWare ESX using pass-thru to Virtual Machines also.

Thanks, Dave... may have to pick one up. :)