[Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Eric Wolf
I currently have an Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 sitting in a drawer because I bricked it with a bad firmware update (need to see if I can fix it). I just noticed (not a network guy, so out of the loop) that Ubiquiti is selling a new 5-port router, the ER-X, which is $54 on Amazon. That's cheap enough to be in the range of "let's not screw with the bricked router and just buy a new one".

I'm currently running the home networking on a TP-LINK AC1900 which I bought in a panic after bricking the ERPOE-5. On the AC1900, Ookla only shows 100Mbps up and down to my hardwired desktop. Other than download performance at my desktop, everything else in the house is fine. I'm suspecting the AC1900 might have some bandwidth QOS management going on.

Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm missing?

-Eric

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

JustinMcAfee
Had a clients ERX get flashed the other day on dirty residential power. Highly recommend UBNTs RMA process. Only thing I was asked for was a narrative and a copy of the receipt for a WAP that was possibly outside the warranty period.

They sent back brand new equipment for everything with no questions asked.

I'd recommend the ERX to anyone, I've deployed less than 100 in the last few years and this was the only one that I've gotten a call about.

Either option is solid, and the ERX is often available for $35. If you can't find one, Hmu, I'll find you one at cost.

Note: ERX only has one PoE passthrough on Eth5, but can run on PoE from an injector to Eth0 then back out eth5.

-JM
Owner, McAfeeMediaSolutions.com
423.774.7205

Sent from ProtonMail mobile

On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Eric Wolf
Thanks all!

I don't actually use POE, it's just what was available at the time. From what I gather, the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was. I should just get it straightened out for the time being.

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Sean Brewer
Yeah the "the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was" summary is correct. The ER5POE can do gigabit no big deal. I actually just acquired a ER5POE recently after lightning got my edgerouter lite by first hitting my cable modem through the coax and then frying the edgerouter's eth0. That was a fun night.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all!

I don't actually use POE, it's just what was available at the time. From what I gather, the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was. I should just get it straightened out for the time being.

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

John Dills
I have an ER-X. I enabled hardware offloading and get gigabit speeds.So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't get me wrong, I'd always recommend the best for what you can afford but - I was cheap. The ER-X is a great router for the price and certainly supports gigabit with hardware offloading.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah the "the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was" summary is correct. The ER5POE can do gigabit no big deal. I actually just acquired a ER5POE recently after lightning got my edgerouter lite by first hitting my cable modem through the coax and then frying the edgerouter's eth0. That was a fun night.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all!

I don't actually use POE, it's just what was available at the time. From what I gather, the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was. I should just get it straightened out for the time being.

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

David White-2
I love my ER-X.
There's no reason I need the gig anyway... my 100mbps connection is perfectly fine. Besides, for internal LAN communication, I have a 1gbps switch.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an ER-X. I enabled hardware offloading and get gigabit speeds.So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't get me wrong, I'd always recommend the best for what you can afford but - I was cheap. The ER-X is a great router for the price and certainly supports gigabit with hardware offloading.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah the "the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was" summary is correct. The ER5POE can do gigabit no big deal. I actually just acquired a ER5POE recently after lightning got my edgerouter lite by first hitting my cable modem through the coax and then frying the edgerouter's eth0. That was a fun night.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all!

I don't actually use POE, it's just what was available at the time. From what I gather, the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was. I should just get it straightened out for the time being.

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Sean Brewer
Must be a recent-ish development via firmware. So it sounds like, if you have an ER-X and are on older hardware, you need to upgrade your firmware. I don't recall ER-X supporting hardware offload in older versions.

You can find the more expensive edgerouter equipment pretty cheap if you know where to look. I got my ER5POE for not much more than a new ER-X.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 6:14 PM, John Dills <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have an ER-X. I enabled hardware offloading and get gigabit speeds.So... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't get me wrong, I'd always recommend the best for what you can afford but - I was cheap. The ER-X is a great router for the price and certainly supports gigabit with hardware offloading.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah the "the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was" summary is correct. The ER5POE can do gigabit no big deal. I actually just acquired a ER5POE recently after lightning got my edgerouter lite by first hitting my cable modem through the coax and then frying the edgerouter's eth0. That was a fun night.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks all!

I don't actually use POE, it's just what was available at the time. From what I gather, the ER-X isn't really capable of handling a Gig where the ER5POE was. I should just get it straightened out for the time being.

-Eric
Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Dave Brockman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 7/2/2018 11:23 AM, Eric Wolf wrote:
> Maybe I just need to spend some time poking at my existing hardware and
> not buying new... Thoughts? Is there anything in the new ER-X that I'm
> missing?

The ER-X has twice the CPU as the ER5POE.  The ER5POE has 3 hardware
routing interfaces/pipes, the ER-X has a switch and some kind of funky
hardware pipeline, but only a portion of it is available currently.
Realistically, if you're looking to push a Gig, move up to an ER-4.  If
you're playing somewhere in the 400-500Mb range, and don't expect much
more than 100Mb IPSEC, and ER-X makes a nice small, power sipping
firewall. It's going to suck on OpenVPN speeds because that is still
100% CPU with no offload, this is true of all EdgeRouters, AFAIK.

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Dave Brockman
On 7/6/2018 12:23 PM, Sean Brewer wrote:
> Must be a recent-ish development via firmware. So it sounds like, if you
> have an ER-X and are on older hardware, you need to upgrade your
> firmware. I don't recall ER-X supporting hardware offload in older versions.
>
> You can find the more expensive edgerouter equipment pretty cheap if you
> know where to look. I got my ER5POE for not much more than a new ER-X.

I believe hardware off-loading arrived on the ER-X around v1.9.x
firmware.  What kind of pricing do you see for an ER-4?

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] Ubiquiti ERPOE-5 vs ER-X

Sean Brewer
I haven't seen a lot of the ER-4s actually. Skimmed ebay really quick and don't see anything much better than retail, lol.