[Chugalug] Virtual Server Rambles..

Michael Harrison
Phil pushed a big shiny box at me.. lots of cores, bigly ram, bestest hard drives..
The goal is to build a nice server for running a handful of VM's for in-office server functions.

Anyone got a favorite way of running the core KVM/QEMU machine?
as in:  Debian vs Ubuntu vs ?????

I've got some time to play, I'm just glad he's not forcing me to run ProxMox (which is a pretty but limited front end to KVM/QEMU).

I was going to start with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS first.

Anything I should consider?

Re: [Chugalug] Virtual Server Rambles..

Lynn Dixon
KVM using a CentOS (Or Red Hat) host all the way :-) .

I'm gonna pitch oVirt (www.ovirt.org) because it has a very nice web interface, and runs KVM at its core. You can do a single-host, or self-hosted engine when you only have one host.

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Xen is still my favorite for Open Source Virtualization, that and BHyve

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019, 10:00 AM Mike Harrison <[hidden email] wrote:
Phil pushed a big shiny box at me.. lots of cores, bigly ram, bestest hard drives..
The goal is to build a nice server for running a handful of VM's for in-office server functions.

Anyone got a favorite way of running the core KVM/QEMU machine?
as in:  Debian vs Ubuntu vs ?????

I've got some time to play, I'm just glad he's not forcing me to run ProxMox (which is a pretty but limited front end to KVM/QEMU).

I was going to start with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS first.

Anything I should consider?

Re: [Chugalug] Virtual Server Rambles..

Jason Brown
Depending on how complicated you want to get, I've had decent luck with OpenNebula
It is generic, hooks into just about anything, but it's not simple. ovirt is likely a better choice for as single machine.
Ironically as my needs have gotten smaller I have been considering ProxMox