[Chugalug] Website question

John Aldrich-3
Hey guys, so I'm out driving for Lyft and Uber tonight, and I picked up a guy who's the contractor building contractor and he said that he's run across some people copying pictures of homes he's built and using them without his permission. He was asking if there is way to stop people from right-clicking and copying pictures and I told him I know there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out guys here what's the command or what's the code for stopping someone from copying your pictures off your website?

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Carlos Q. McGhee

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys, so I'm out driving for Lyft and Uber tonight, and I picked up a guy who's the contractor building contractor and he said that he's run across some people copying pictures of homes he's built and using them without his permission. He was asking if there is way to stop people from right-clicking and copying pictures and I told him I know there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out guys here what's the command or what's the code for stopping someone from copying your pictures off your website?

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 18:40:13 -0400
John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> using them without his permission. He was asking if there is way to
> stop people from right-clicking and copying pictures and I told him I
> know there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out guys here
> what's the command or what's the code for stopping someone from
> copying your pictures off your website?

There isn't, really. You can use JavaScript to add a "contextmenu" event
listener and call preventDefault():

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737022/how-do-i-disable-right-click-on-my-web-page

but anyone with a lick of web dev skill who wants to rip that off will
either F1 into the console, or copy and paste off the screen, or...

The best thing to do is probably to register copyright on the images,
and start sending DMCA takedown notices to both the site owners and the
ISPs.

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

John Dills
I’ll second the DMCA thing. It’s not hard to open up console and snag them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 6:48 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 18:40:13 -0400
> John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> using them without his permission. He was asking if there is way to
>> stop people from right-clicking and copying pictures and I told him I
>> know there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out guys here
>> what's the command or what's the code for stopping someone from
>> copying your pictures off your website?
>
> There isn't, really. You can use JavaScript to add a "contextmenu" event
> listener and call preventDefault():
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737022/how-do-i-disable-right-click-on-my-web-page
>
> but anyone with a lick of web dev skill who wants to rip that off will
> either F1 into the console, or copy and paste off the screen, or...
>
> The best thing to do is probably to register copyright on the images,
> and start sending DMCA takedown notices to both the site owners and the
> ISPs.
>
> Dan

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Ok. Thanks, Dan. I know some places (flicker?) Have a way to blick right-click, but I wasnt sure how. If the guy reaches out to me I'll pass along the suggestion. He's got my contact info, but I don't have his

 Subject: Re: [Chugalug] Website question
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Wednesday, April 4, 2018, 6:48 PM

 On Wed, 04 Apr 2018 18:40:13
 -0400
 John Aldrich <[hidden email]>
 wrote:
 > using them without his
 permission. He was asking if there is way to
 > stop people from right-clicking and
 copying pictures and I told him I
 > know
 there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out
 guys here
 > what's the command or
 what's the code for stopping someone from
 > copying your pictures off your website?

 There isn't, really. You
 can use JavaScript to add a "contextmenu" event
 listener and call preventDefault():

 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/737022/how-do-i-disable-right-click-on-my-web-page

 but anyone with a lick of web
 dev skill who wants to rip that off will
 either F1 into the console, or copy and paste
 off the screen, or...

 The
 best thing to do is probably to register copyright on the
 images,
 and start sending DMCA takedown
 notices to both the site owners and the
 ISPs.

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Sean Brewer
Disabling right click doesn't work well at all. Don't do it. It's a waste of time. It's really annoying and it doesn't actually prevent anyone from grabbing your content. The myriad of ways of looking at the page source and/or taking a screenshot of the page, which can be done from the browser
    google-chrome --headless --disable-gpu --screenshot https://www.chugalug.org/g

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:40 PM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys, so I'm out driving for Lyft and Uber tonight, and I picked up a guy who's the contractor building contractor and he said that he's run across some people copying pictures of homes he's built and using them without his permission. He was asking if there is way to stop people from right-clicking and copying pictures and I told him I know there is I just don't know what it is. So help me out guys here what's the command or what's the code for stopping someone from copying your pictures off your website?

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Ed King-2

also, be careful about watermarking the pictures.  I tried that one time and fried a monitor because I had too much water on my finger

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
    google-chrome --headless --disable-gpu --screenshot https://www.chugalug.org/g

Brilliant, I needed that example.

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Michael Scholten
>also, be careful about watermarking the pictures.  I tried that one time and fried a monitor because I had too much water on my finger

This and the Craft-O-Matic Adjustable Subscription Cancellation Unit is one reason why I love this list. (I know the craft-o-matic isn't original but still...) Keep it up Ed!

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 8:27 AM Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 12:12 AM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
    google-chrome --headless --disable-gpu --screenshot https://www.chugalug.org/g

Brilliant, I needed that example.

Re: [Chugalug] Website question

Dean Warren
Hey I have a gross of IBM Mouse Balls available for sale if anyone needs a new one.
MEMO

Re: Replacement of Mouse Balls.

If a mouse fails to operate or should it perform erratically, it may need a ball replacement. Mouse balls are now available as FRU (Field Replacement Units). Because of the delicate nature of this procedure, replacement of mouse balls should only be attempted by properly trained personnel.

Before proceeding, determine the type of mouse balls by examining the underside of the mouse. Domestic balls will be larger and harder than foreign balls. Ball removal procedures differ depending upon the manufacturer of the mouse. Foreign balls can be replaced using the pop off method. Domestic balls are replaced by using the twist off method. Mouse balls are not usually static sensitive. However, excessive handling can result in sudden discharge. Upon completion of ball replacement, the mouse may be used immediately.

It is recommended that each person have a pair of spare balls for maintaining optimum customer satisfaction. Any customer missing his balls should contact the local personnel in charge of removing and replacing these necessary items.

Please keep in mind that a customer without properly working balls is an unhappy customer.

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren