[Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

12

[Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Sean Brewer
It's not a bad idea to have it around, especially given that the Chattanooga subreddit is fairly active. It's up to you guys if you want to use it or not. I don't mind modding.

If any of you guys have any ideas for the subreddit, let me know. Maybe a bot that posts the digests from the mailing list automatically, cool styling, etc.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Michael Scholten
So my question here is, would we want to say "I'm bob1234 on reddit"?

I'm interested in seeing where it could go with reddit...

-Michael

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's not a bad idea to have it around, especially given that the Chattanooga subreddit is fairly active. It's up to you guys if you want to use it or not. I don't mind modding.

If any of you guys have any ideas for the subreddit, let me know. Maybe a bot that posts the digests from the mailing list automatically, cool styling, etc.

-Michael

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Matt Eslinger
Cool idea. A CLug subreddit.
here's me!

http://www.reddit.com/user/warsd4/

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Michael Scholten <[hidden email]> wrote:
So my question here is, would we want to say "I'm bob1234 on reddit"?

I'm interested in seeing where it could go with reddit...

-Michael

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's not a bad idea to have it around, especially given that the Chattanooga subreddit is fairly active. It's up to you guys if you want to use it or not. I don't mind modding.

If any of you guys have any ideas for the subreddit, let me know. Maybe a bot that posts the digests from the mailing list automatically, cool styling, etc.

-Michael

Povtoreniye - maht ucheniya

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Matt Eslinger
subscribed

--
Povtoreniye - maht ucheniya

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

DaWorm
For the perennially clueless, what is reddit, and why do I need it?  I followed one of the earlier links to a reddit page, and what I saw looked like a circa 1995 hand coded HTML page that was about as dull as white bread.  Between email, facebook, message forums, and the rare foray into Google+, do I really need yet another social media outlet?

Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Randy Yates
Jeff, you should give up all the rest and just use Reddit.

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM, DaWorm <[hidden email]> wrote:
For the perennially clueless, what is reddit, and why do I need it?  I followed one of the earlier links to a reddit page, and what I saw looked like a circa 1995 hand coded HTML page that was about as dull as white bread.  Between email, facebook, message forums, and the rare foray into Google+, do I really need yet another social media outlet?

Jeff.

Google reads my email!

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

DaWorm

Two minutes on the home page and that's all I can take.  Ugly, full of crap.  Just don't get it.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

William D. Roush
It's like every other link aggregator, just because the latest flavor of the month after Digg went down.

William Roush

On 9/17/2013 5:52 PM, DaWorm wrote:
For the perennially clueless, what is reddit, and why do I need it?  I followed one of the earlier links to a reddit page, and what I saw looked like a circa 1995 hand coded HTML page that was about as dull as white bread.  Between email, facebook, message forums, and the rare foray into Google+, do I really need yet another social media outlet?

Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

William D. Roush
> On a mailing list complaining about how ugly something is.
William Roush

On 9/17/2013 7:59 PM, DaWorm wrote:

Two minutes on the home page and that's all I can take.  Ugly, full of crap.  Just don't get it.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Reddit has been around almost as long as Digg (which is still totally a thing).  Digg is just 6 months or so older.

I was HUGE into Digg at one point, one of its top 20 submitters, back when they tracked such things.  (Side note - thanks to my connections here in Chugalug, I got to actually meet Kevin Rose - I met him and his DiggNation crew at the airport and drove some of them downtown.)

But to say that Reddit is the flavor of the month is very unfair.  It was founded in June, 2005.  8+ years is a really, really long month.

- Chad W. Smith

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM, William Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's like every other link aggregator, just because the latest flavor of the month after Digg went down.

William Roush

On 9/17/2013 5:52 PM, DaWorm wrote:
For the perennially clueless, what is reddit, and why do I need it?  I followed one of the earlier links to a reddit page, and what I saw looked like a circa 1995 hand coded HTML page that was about as dull as white bread.  Between email, facebook, message forums, and the rare foray into Google+, do I really need yet another social media outlet?

Jeff.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

William D. Roush
Just kind of saying it's just another link aggregator (and being realistic, it only really took off in the past few years), and like any other link aggregator, it's best to go to the more popular ones for the content, not so much the UI, features, etc. So you suck up the bad to get to the content that's being posted.

Not to mention, I don't dream of the days I'll be logging onto Reddit in 10 years. I'm sure Advance Publications will probably do something stupid by then (or hearing from the meta subs, the admins will do it all on their own).
William Roush

On 9/17/2013 11:16 PM, Chad Smith wrote:
[...]

Looked a lot like drinking from the firehose.  I can't keep up with Slashdot, no way I have time for that.

Quoting DaWorm <[hidden email]>:

> For the perennially clueless, what is reddit, and why do I need it?  I
> followed one of the earlier links to a reddit page, and what I saw looked
> like a circa 1995 hand coded HTML page that was about as dull as white
> bread.  Between email, facebook, message forums, and the rare foray into
> Google+, do I really need yet another social media outlet?
>
> Jeff.

I'm pretty sure the corporate firewall won't let me get to Reddit.
They don't allow us to get to Facebook, so I'm thinking they won't let
us get to Reddit either.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:07:18 -0400
Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you think of Reddit as a modern USENET, it makes way more sense.

I was kinda thinking 4chan without the wit.

I too have never gotten very far with Reddit. And I suggest that the
people complaining about the email form factor are complaining that
their railroad locomotives don't work very well on our sidewalks.

I have yet to see a forum that lets me do as much with threading and
filtering as all of the email clients for devices with full-sized
keyboards that I've used since before my primary email address started
containing an @ symbol.

But, yeah, most phone email clients suck, which is why I use a
different address for my phone and don't read mailing lists there.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

James Nylen
On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:07:18 -0400
Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you think of Reddit as a modern USENET, it makes way more sense.

I was kinda thinking 4chan without the wit.

If by "wit" you mean "brain-melting depravity" then sure.

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Dan Lyke
On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM, James Nylen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was kinda thinking 4chan without the wit.
>
> If by "wit" you mean "brain-melting depravity" then sure.

So far as I can tell, Reddit's holding its own on the brain-melting
depravity front...

Re: [Chugalug] Whoa, people actually subscribed to /r/chugalug

Rod-Lists
Ut has been suggested off list that there is enough talent on this list to
write a proper chugalug  phone app. Tho with 2 web interfaces is it needed?

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:17:31 -0400, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:07:18 -0400
> Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you think of Reddit as a modern USENET, it makes way more sense.
>
> I was kinda thinking 4chan without the wit.
>
> I too have never gotten very far with Reddit. And I suggest that the
> people complaining about the email form factor are complaining that
> their railroad locomotives don't work very well on our sidewalks.
>
> I have yet to see a forum that lets me do as much with threading and
> filtering as all of the email clients for devices with full-sized
> keyboards that I've used since before my primary email address started
> containing an @ symbol.
>
> But, yeah, most phone email clients suck, which is why I use a
> different address for my phone and don't read mailing lists there.
>
> Dan

12