[Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

David Rucker

Hello,

I am in need of a new router. I currently have 100mb fiber from RTC and may upgrade to 1gb in the future. Right now the router I have works well but with only one device at a time. The speed and bandwidth always gets granted to the device that started first. I don't need a lot of fancy features just want something that will work and not too expensive. I do a lot of downloading, moderate streaming, and some gaming.

Also if anyone has a used one laying around that they would be willing to part with cheap I'm interested.

Thank you,
David R.

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Matt Keys-2

Wifi acts a bit like a old hub where the total bandwidth is divided as you add clients to it. Just my 0.02, you'd be better off running a cable to the clients rather than changing out or adding APs.

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Stephen Kraus
I'm with Matt. If you plan to do the Wi-Fi route, you need to find an Access Point that has multiple radios and supports roaming so you can expand into multiple access points.

As Matt said, an AP acts like an old Hub, it uses Frequency Hopping to divide its radios attention between multiple clients, but its not very good at handling large amounts of multiple clients.

Better to wire in.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 10:12 AM, Matt Keys <[hidden email]> wrote:

Wifi acts a bit like a old hub where the total bandwidth is divided as you add clients to it. Just my 0.02, you'd be better off running a cable to the clients rather than changing out or adding APs.

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Matt Keys-2

I'm a big fan of pfsense as your router and dedicated APs for wireless -- even for residential setups. The router/ap combos can be hit or miss on quality and features, or overpriced for what they do. If I were looking to spend that kind of money I'd probably just add nice APs like the ubiquity UniFi line : https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/wireless

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Eric Wolf
If you upgrade to 1GB at any point, you will almost certainly need to upgrade your router. I got pretty good results with a UBNT EdgeMax router (I bought the 5-port version which was a waste of money - go with the 3-port "lite"). I put my old Wifi router in AP mode and wired it to the EdgeMax. I moved my Wifi router out of the basement and into the living room so my Roku is now  wired directly to the switch on the old Wifi router and other devices get more signal. The Edgemax  lives in the basement where everything (except for the printers) is wired anyway.

My "old" Wifi router was pretty decent 2 years ago. It couldn't NAT fast enough to provide 1GB internet even with wired clients. The Edgemax has no problem keeping up.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Matt Keys <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm a big fan of pfsense as your router and dedicated APs for wireless -- even for residential setups. The router/ap combos can be hit or miss on quality and features, or overpriced for what they do. If I were looking to spend that kind of money I'd probably just add nice APs like the ubiquity UniFi line : https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/wireless

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Lynn Dixon
Gonna echo Matt here.  I run pfSense at home, and then use Ubiquiti for my AP's.  I am running the Unifi 802.11AC AP right now.  I believe the model is Unifi UAP-AC Pro. Its dual banded and dual radios, so it handles traffic better than your standard single radio model.  For the price, its a good AP, and you can run the Unifi controller software on top of pfSense which is nice.

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Eric Wolf <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you upgrade to 1GB at any point, you will almost certainly need to upgrade your router. I got pretty good results with a UBNT EdgeMax router (I bought the 5-port version which was a waste of money - go with the 3-port "lite"). I put my old Wifi router in AP mode and wired it to the EdgeMax. I moved my Wifi router out of the basement and into the living room so my Roku is now  wired directly to the switch on the old Wifi router and other devices get more signal. The Edgemax  lives in the basement where everything (except for the printers) is wired anyway.

My "old" Wifi router was pretty decent 2 years ago. It couldn't NAT fast enough to provide 1GB internet even with wired clients. The Edgemax has no problem keeping up.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           <a href="tel:720-334-7734" value="+17203347734" target="_blank">720-334-7734

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Matt Keys <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm a big fan of pfsense as your router and dedicated APs for wireless -- even for residential setups. The router/ap combos can be hit or miss on quality and features, or overpriced for what they do. If I were looking to spend that kind of money I'd probably just add nice APs like the ubiquity UniFi line : https://www.ubnt.com/products/#all/wireless

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Dean Warren
OK,so is anyone on the list is a Unifi distributor?!?

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

DaWorm

I wish I could manage my ER-X with Unifi.  Not being a networking geek, I'm having a heck of a time figuring it out.  Had port forwarding for my Plex server working once, but switched IPs and still haven't figured out why I can't make it work again.  At this point I wish I'd spent the extra cash for a Unifi compatible router.

No complaints with the LR access point though, that's been rock solid.

Jeff

Re: [Chugalug] Wi-Fi Routers

Dean Warren
Amazon it is! Thought I would give our Fellow Chugalugger's a chance for a little home business...<Squarely looking at Aaron and Phil>

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Sean Brewer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David White-2
I missed this.

I can sell Ubiquit. :)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Dean Warren <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/