[Chugalug] XenServer Questions

David White-3
Hi folks,
Yep, this is me. I'm thinking about moving some (or all) of my stuff over to Protonmail, and thought I'd go ahead and subscribe to Chugalug on this email address.

I'm looking into possibly deploying some hardware soon, and just about fell out of my seat when I saw how expensive VMware costs when you want High Availability.

Does anyone use, or have experience with, XenServer? How hard is it to setup with 2 different physical servers for a HA environment? How hard is it to manage & create new VMs? Have you been happy with it? Is it worth my time?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

publickey - dmwhite823@protonmail.com - 0x320CD582.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Chugalug] XenServer Questions

Lynn Dixon
If you are looking at buying vSphere, why not take a look at Red Hat RHV?  https://access.redhat.com/products/red-hat-virtualization

If you are looking to save money, you can check out the upstream opensource project that drives Red Hat RHV.....oVirt:  https://www.ovirt.org/
You could do HA using two machines using RHV or oVirt, and creating VM's is actually quite easy with the slick WebUI or you can leverage Ansible to do provisioning.  It also has an API that is easy to work with.

To be quite honest, I have not seen XenServer being used in production for a LONG time.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 7:13 PM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,
Yep, this is me. I'm thinking about moving some (or all) of my stuff over to Protonmail, and thought I'd go ahead and subscribe to Chugalug on this email address.

I'm looking into possibly deploying some hardware soon, and just about fell out of my seat when I saw how expensive VMware costs when you want High Availability.

Does anyone use, or have experience with, XenServer? How hard is it to setup with 2 different physical servers for a HA environment? How hard is it to manage & create new VMs? Have you been happy with it? Is it worth my time?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Re: [Chugalug] XenServer Questions

David White-3
Thanks, Lynn.
I'm not looking at vSphere, now that I know how much HA costs. No freaking way.
Come to think of it, Linode did migrate off of Xen hosts a couple years ago onto KVMs, and I know other cloud providers tend to use KVM over Xen these days.

So what you say makes sense - Xen is old technology.

Will RHV run or require any sort of RHEL subscription? In other words, do I need a Red Hat account to run RHV with oVirt? Or maybe I should just go to oVirt as you say...

On Friday, October 19, 2018 7:30 PM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Ah, yes, looks like oVirt would be a much better way to go.

Funny enough, I was just talking with a colleague today about working with GlusterFS back in the day, and I recommended that we look into Gluster for a possible Docker HA environment we're trying to come up with.

On Friday, October 19, 2018 7:55 PM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Stephen Kraus
Xenserver is easy as pie. Its very robust, and HA can be done without difficulty.

Building out VMs is just as easy.

I use Xenserver at home and in our Offensive Security Lab (Cussing Allowed) Sandbox environment.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 7:55 PM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Lynn.
I'm not looking at vSphere, now that I know how much HA costs. No freaking way.
Come to think of it, Linode did migrate off of Xen hosts a couple years ago onto KVMs, and I know other cloud providers tend to use KVM over Xen these days.

Yep.  oVirt is just a nice management layer that provides HA and migration for KVM.

So what you say makes sense - Xen is old technology.

Will RHV run or require any sort of RHEL subscription? In other words, do I need a Red Hat account to run RHV with oVirt? Or maybe I should just go to oVirt as you say...

RHV is one of our products, and its sold with RHEL.  But, with Red Hat, you are paying for support.  If you want to save money and do self-support oVirt is the way to go.  oVirt will be slightly ahead of RHV as far as features and updates.  The community is pretty good around it, most of the folks on the oVirt mailing lists are going to be Red Hatters writing the code the goes into oVirt (and eventually RHV) and they are usually pretty quick with replies to the list. They also hang out a lot in #ovirt on Freenode.

I personally use oVirt in my own lab that I have co-located with Peace, and I also use it for my home server (it hosts all the servers I have at the house...Plex, IdM, Satellite, and a few other home stuff).

OH!!! AND DONT FORGET! You can sign up for a free Red Hat developer account and get access to all our products, and run them self-supported. https://developers.redhat.com/
This also gets you access to the documentation, updates from RHN, in addition to the products.

[...]

Billy
Just an FYI about the developer subscription:

The major difference between a full commercial Red Hat subscription and the Developer Program subscription is that the Red Hat Developer Program is intended for individual developer-use only. Integration, test and production environments will require a paid subscription.”

https://developers.redhat.com/faq/#overview

If you’d rather not spend any money on software, and are willing to support and curate the patches and versions yourself, then I recommend getting it from upstream and getting community support from the forums and GitHub.

As of 4.2.3, only RHEL and CentOs 7 are supported and have RPMs published.

--b