[Chugalug] minus 32 on the list.. 219 current.. including some bots.

123

[Chugalug] minus 32 on the list.. 219 current.. including some bots.

Mike Harrison

I just saw 32 people on the list. "unsubscribe" and then I realized that I
fixed the "bounce" functions in mailman a few weeks ago and the dead
addresses finally nuked themselves. I love it when a plan comes together.

We had a handful of people using Lavabit and other domains that no longer
work and now the system will age out bouncing addresses, server load will
go down, saving CPU load, electricity, less recycled electrons and
possibly stopping global warming which saves penguin habitats.

Just FYI: There are currently 219 members on the list, including a handful
of Bots for reddit, nabble, etc..

We are not achieving our goals for world domination.
Please flog any nearby non-*nix users into submission
until they install a *nix based OS: Linux, BSD, Mach, OSX, QNX, Android....
and plug their brain into the Chugalug collective.
We need fresh meat for the grinder and their dues.
Oh, yeah.. no dues.. ok: fresh meat? fresh meat is good, eh?

Re: [Chugalug] minus 32 on the list.. 219 current.. including some bots.

Aaron welch
On that note... Chugalunch?  Today?  1PM ish?  Somewhere with good cheap food (in that order).

-AW

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] minus 32 on the list.. 219 current.. including some bots.

Ed King
jail

On that note... Chugalunch?  Today?  1PM ish?  Somewhere with good cheap food (in that order).

-AW

Re: [Chugalug] minus 32 on the list.. 219 current.. including some bots.

Rod-Lists

resistance is futile!
@aaron your prez u decide!

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 05:56:28 -0400, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I just saw 32 people on the list. "unsubscribe" and then I realized that
> I fixed the "bounce" functions in mailman a few weeks ago and the dead
> addresses finally nuked themselves. I love it when a plan comes together.
>
> We had a handful of people using Lavabit and other domains that no
> longer work and now the system will age out bouncing addresses, server
> load will go down, saving CPU load, electricity, less recycled electrons
> and possibly stopping global warming which saves penguin habitats.
>
> Just FYI: There are currently 219 members on the list, including a
> handful of Bots for reddit, nabble, etc..
>
> We are not achieving our goals for world domination.
> Please flog any nearby non-*nix users into submission
> until they install a *nix based OS: Linux, BSD, Mach, OSX, QNX,
> Android....
> and plug their brain into the Chugalug collective.
> We need fresh meat for the grinder and their dues.
> Oh, yeah.. no dues.. ok: fresh meat? fresh meat is good, eh?

[Chugalug] Chugalunch - Nikki's 1pm, Outside on the picnic tables (in shade)

Mike Harrison
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Aaron welch wrote:
> On that note... Chugalunch?  Today?  1PM ish?  Somewhere with good cheap food (in that order).

Aaron called a Chugalunch but did not mention the place and time.

How about outside at Nikki's by the Red Bank Tunnel at 1pm. ?

They only take cash, good decent burgers cheap.. and their onion rings are awesome!

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalunch - Nikki's 1pm, Outside on the picnic tables (in shade)

Rod-Lists
I have never made it to nikki's maybe now is the time.

On Sep 27, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Rod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have never made it to nikki's maybe now is the time.

Barring insurrection and system failures in some strange country, I'll be at Nikki's at 1pm.

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalunch - Nikki's 1pm, Outside on the picnic tables (in shade)

Aaron welch
As will I.

-AW

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sep 27, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Rod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have never made it to nikki's maybe now is the time.

Barring insurrection and system failures in some strange country, I'll be at Nikki's at 1pm.

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] Chugalunch - Nikki's 1pm, Outside on the picnic tables (in shade)

Lee Walker
See you all there.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Aaron welch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am good with that.
>
> -AW
>

> On Friday, September 27, 2013, Mike Harrison wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013, Aaron welch wrote:
>>>
>>> On that note... Chugalunch?  Today?  1PM ish?  Somewhere with good cheap
>>> food (in that order).
>>

>> Aaron called a Chugalunch but did not mention the place and time.
>>
>> How about outside at Nikki's by the Red Bank Tunnel at 1pm. ?
>>
>> They only take cash, good decent burgers cheap.. and their onion rings are
>> awesome!
>>

> --
> Aaron Welch
> Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures
> 423-505-9999
> [hidden email]
> "Enabling people to do great things with their own ideas."

Lee Walker
Principal Engineer
404-405-1194
l.s.walker (Skype)
www.codejourneymen.com

Code Journeymen LLC
100 Cherokee Blvd
Suite #332,
Chattanooga TN,
37405

[Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

kitepilot
So I talked my brother into ditching Micro$haft and moving to Linux.
Baaaad idea...

The man uses Excel *HEAVILY*, and LibreOffice just could not keep up.
But it was not lack of features or limitations, it was *STUPID* (but
dangerous) things like cells not showing the real value and/or recalculating
wrong.

I didn't take his word for it, he showed me the (unbelievable) problems (I
could not believe what I was seeing).
The guy is back to Excel...
What am I missing?
ET

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Dan Eveland
I really want LibreOffice to work for me. But it just sucks so bad once you dig into past a little memo or small spreadsheet. I try it out every major update. It has never failed to let me down in some small or large way every time I try to complete a (not-simple) document. Of course, my requirements are my own and your millage may vary.

wes

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

wes
LibreOffice does things differently. It was not designed to be a direct replacement for MS Office. It was designed from the ground up to be a general-use office productivity suite.

There is another open-source product called Gnumeric that was designed to mimic MS Excel in every way possible. Maybe your brother could give that a try?

To answer you actual question would require us to see the same proof that you talked about seeing. Can you reproduce any of the problems with generic data?

-wes

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:53 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I talked my brother into ditching Micro$haft and moving to Linux.
Baaaad idea...
The man uses Excel *HEAVILY*, and LibreOffice just could not keep up.
But it was not lack of features or limitations, it was *STUPID* (but dangerous) things like cells not showing the real value and/or recalculating wrong.
I didn't take his word for it, he showed me the (unbelievable) problems (I could not believe what I was seeing).
The guy is back to Excel...
What am I missing?
ET

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Lynn Dixon
It's a shame that a company like Microsoft does an Office Suite so well.  I really wish MS would release Office on Linux. I don't even care if its close source, binary blobs.

However, you could always have him try the Office Web Apps that are free as a part of Skydrive.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM, wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Benjamin Stewart
Out of my own ignorance: Does this apply to both forks(Libre/Open)?

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Dan Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:
I really want LibreOffice to work for me. But it just sucks so bad once you dig into past a little memo or small spreadsheet. I try it out every major update. It has never failed to let me down in some small or large way every time I try to complete a (not-simple) document. Of course, my requirements are my own and your millage may vary.

                              Benjamin Stewart

                               <o(((><
                               ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

kitepilot
No, he only tried 'Libre', but after the experience, and given the
fundamental nature of the problems, I doubt that he would be willing to try
'Open', and I am borderline sure that the problems will be there.
Problems are very hard to replicate, but they are there...
ET

Benjamin Stewart writes:

> Out of my own ignorance: Does this apply to both forks(Libre/Open)?
>

> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Dan Eveland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I really want LibreOffice to work for me. But it just sucks so bad once
>> you dig into past a little memo or small spreadsheet. I try it out every
>> major update. It has never failed to let me down in some small or large way
>> every time I try to complete a (not-simple) document. Of course, my
>> requirements are my own and your millage may vary.

>                               Benjamin Stewart
>
>                                <o(((><
>                                ><)))o>

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Benjamin Stewart
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Out of my own ignorance: Does this apply to both forks(Libre/Open)?

My two-years ago gig involved a lot of Microsoft .*x files, and I
almost broke down and bought a machine just to run Office. I can't
speak to the functionality of the spreadsheet, if I start to get
complex stuff I sling code, but I could totally imagine that importing
.xls or .xlsx files would lose important bits, and that saving and
re-importing those files would end up with spreadsheets that looked
nothing like what they started with.

always lead to tears (though the older formats were a hell of a lot
less bad than the new formats).

After years of thinking that there was a future for "Linux on the
desktop", I've come to two conclusions:

1. That works if you're only communicating with other Linux users. If
you can use native formats? Great. If you have to communicate with
Microsoft Office users? Don't bother.

2. Unless they're computers in your household, who cares? When most
consumers buy a computer off-the-shelf, they're paying the Microsoft
tax anyway already. Let the people who want to do that use Microsoft
and Apple. Linux rocks the living daylights out of the back-end stuff,
the embedded stuff, and the phone (Android and whatever else is
up-and-coming). Back in the day we used to say that if you have to
connect two IBM mainframes together, the easiest way to do that was to
put a DEC VAX in between them. Linux fills that same glue function
now.

Re: [Chugalug] Is LibreOffice *THAT* bad? :(

Eric Wolf
Office is Microsoft's cash cow. It funds everything else they do to us. And that won't change for several reasons:

1. Everyone uses it. It's the de facto standard.

2. It does considerably more than what any one user needs. Any two users will need a divergent enough feature set that they can't both start using something like LibreOffice. Any N users (i.e., a corporation) use N+1 feature sets and will never get off Office because there is no replacement.

3. Microsoft hasn't screwed up Office bad enough to give users a real reason to try other things. The UI change to the "ribbon" was pretty drastic but didn't really impact their user base.

Unfortunately, Office drives demand for Windows... and that sucks... I'd recommend VirtualBox with Windows and Office installed.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

Quoting Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]>:

> It's a shame that a company like Microsoft does an Office Suite so well.  I
> really wish MS would release Office on Linux. I don't even care if its
> close source, binary blobs.
>
> However, you could always have him try the Office Web Apps that are free as
> a part of Skydrive.

What about Google Docs spreadsheets?
123