[Chugalug] (no subject)

12

[Chugalug] (no subject)

estex198 .
Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My passion lies in the study of operating systems, especially ones that are free and open-source, and have a community built around them. Currently Im running Linux Mint for a no-hassle OS during classes, but I like to explore Arch and LFS during my breaks. My favorite websites related to computing are distrowatch, Wikipedia, and the archlinux wiki.  I signed up for this mailing list because I'd like to learn new things from people with similar interests and to discuss ideas related to software and technology. Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting some new faces!

Regards,

Russell Estes

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Aaron welch
Welcome to the insanity.

-Aaron

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:38 PM, estex198 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My passion lies in the study of operating systems, especially ones that are free and open-source, and have a community built around them. Currently Im running Linux Mint for a no-hassle OS during classes, but I like to explore Arch and LFS during my breaks. My favorite websites related to computing are distrowatch, Wikipedia, and the archlinux wiki.  I signed up for this mailing list because I'd like to learn new things from people with similar interests and to discuss ideas related to software and technology. Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting some new faces!

Regards,

Russell Estes

Aaron Welch
Chief Mechanic @ Geek Ventures

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Welcome! Not all of us are in Chattanooga, but we all are very active on the mailing list. There is a standing rule that the person who asks about meetings buys beer.

Just kidding. :)

Best regards,
-Alex

Sent with Mailtrack

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:38 AM, estex198 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My passion lies in the study of operating systems, especially ones that are free and open-source, and have a community built around them. Currently Im running Linux Mint for a no-hassle OS during classes, but I like to explore Arch and LFS during my breaks. My favorite websites related to computing are distrowatch, Wikipedia, and the archlinux wiki.  I signed up for this mailing list because I'd like to learn new things from people with similar interests and to discuss ideas related to software and technology. Thanks for your time and I look forward to meeting some new faces!

Regards,

Russell Estes

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 2:38 PM, estex198 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My

Welcome! and condolences.

Hopefully you will get your moneys worth out of Chugalug. The dues are outrageous: you have to put up with all of us.

Arch. Oh. You are one of THOSE people. You have friends on the list. ;)

Also, hopefully, you know about Chadev and Chadev+Devops (search meetup.com).

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Stephen Kraus
I'm just a displaced Chattanoogan trapped in Atlanta.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 2:38 PM, estex198 . <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My

Welcome! and condolences.

Hopefully you will get your moneys worth out of Chugalug. The dues are outrageous: you have to put up with all of us.

Arch. Oh. You are one of THOSE people. You have friends on the list. ;)

Also, hopefully, you know about Chadev and Chadev+Devops (search meetup.com).

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Mike Harrison-4

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm just a displaced Chattanoogan trapped in Atlanta.

Interesting thing about Chattanooga and this LUG, is that people put an effort into staying connected to both. The communities in Chattanooga that people get entwined with are awesome.

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Dan Lyke
On Thu, 5 Oct 2017 16:24:53 -0400
Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting thing about Chattanooga and this LUG, is that people put
> an effort into staying connected to both. The communities in
> Chattanooga that people get entwined with are awesome.

Former 'noogan who moved away 22(!) years ago, hollerin' back.

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Andy Burnett
Hah, I'm no longer the newest guy in CHUGALUG!  Finally...

But seriously, welcome!  This is a good group of folks who are WAY smarter
than me when it comes to Linux and the like.  They're still humoring my
silly questions for now, but I think the honeymoon period ends soon.

Andy

--
Sent from: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

On 2017-10-05 16:12, Mike Harrison wrote:
> Arch. Oh. You are one of THOSE people. You have friends on the list. ;)

Did someone say minimalist *nix ditro without systemd?  Yes, please!
Never mind all that docker bullshit you may read about it.

Regards,

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Adam Jimerson

Sorry Dave Arch uses SystemD by default and at this point takes some work to change that.

On 2017-10-05 16:12, Mike Harrison wrote:
> Arch. Oh. You are one of THOSE people. You have friends on the list. ;)

Did someone say minimalist *nix ditro without systemd?  Yes, please!
Never mind all that docker bullshit you may read about it.

Regards,

--dtb

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Dave Brockman
This is true.  I apparently wanted to have a conversation about Alpine
Linux instead :P  Fingers are faster than the eyes it seems.

--dtb

On 2017-10-05 19:32, Adam Jimerson wrote:

> Sorry Dave Arch uses SystemD by default and at this point takes some
> work to change that.
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017, 7:20 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-10-05 16:12, Mike Harrison wrote:
>>> Arch. Oh. You are one of THOSE people. You have friends on the
>> list. ;)
>>
>> Did someone say minimalist *nix ditro without systemd?  Yes, please!
>> Never mind all that docker bullshit you may read about it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --dtb

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Chad Smith
I foolishly left Chattanooga 10 years ago, but I'm still on the list.  :)

I use the best Linux distros - Android and RetroPie.  :)

- Chad W. Smith

On 2017-10-05 19:32, Adam Jimerson wrote:
Sorry Dave Arch uses SystemD by default and at this point takes some
work to change that.

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

kitepilot
One name rings loud: LFS!
Not a Chattanooga native, but forcefully assimilated.
Nobody is here more 'from the South' than I am...   :)
ET

estex198 . writes:

> Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My
> name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer
> science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My passion lies
> in the study of operating systems, especially ones that are free and
> open-source, and have a community built around them. Currently Im running
> Linux Mint for a no-hassle OS during classes, but I like to explore Arch
> and LFS during my breaks. My favorite websites related to computing are
> distrowatch, Wikipedia, and the archlinux wiki.  I signed up for this
> mailing list because I'd like to learn new things from people with similar
> interests and to discuss ideas related to software and technology. Thanks
> for your time and I look forward to meeting some new faces!
>
> Regards,
>

> Russell Estes

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
I'll stick with ZFS. I'm a Sun geek.

-Alex, ShadowHntr

Sent with Mailtrack

estex198 . writes:
[...]

Somebody is misunderstanding something here:
LFS == http://linuxfromscratch.org
:)
ZFS =? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS ?
ET

Alex Smith (K4RNT) writes:

> I'll stick with ZFS. I'm a Sun geek.
>
> -Alex, ShadowHntr
>

> <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailtrack-for-gmail-inbox/ndnaehgpjlnokgebbaldlmgkapkpjkkb?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality>
>
> " 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the
> first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
> irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
> warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all
> damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
> episode "The Drumhead"
> - Alex Smith
> - Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)
>
> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:56 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> One name rings loud: LFS!
>> Not a Chattanooga native, but forcefully assimilated.
>> Nobody is here more 'from the South' than I am...   :)
>> ET
>>
>> estex198 . writes:
>>
>>> Hello everyone! I'm new to the list and thought I'd introduce myself. My
>>> name is Russell Estes but most know me as Rusty.  I'm studying computer
>>> science at Baker Online, and hope to graduate in 2 years. My passion lies
>>> in the study of operating systems, especially ones that are free and
>>> open-source, and have a community built around them. Currently Im running
>>> Linux Mint for a no-hassle OS during classes, but I like to explore Arch
>>> and LFS during my breaks. My favorite websites related to computing are
>>> distrowatch, Wikipedia, and the archlinux wiki.  I signed up for this
>>> mailing list because I'd like to learn new things from people with similar
>>> interests and to discuss ideas related to software and technology. Thanks
>>> for your time and I look forward to meeting some new faces!
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Russell Estes
>>> [hidden email]

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

kitepilot
Hmmmmmmmm...
Lost...

I still think that we are talking about significantly different things.
LFS (in this context) is a cookbook to compile a fully-fledged GNU/Linux
system from the kernel up.

ZFS (seems to be in this context, not sure yet what it is) a filesystem
implementation (like EXT2, for example) for *NIX systems.

And I anywhere near right?
ET

Alex Smith (K4RNT) writes:

> Yes, THAT ZFS.
>
> http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Main_Page
>

> <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailtrack-for-gmail-inbox/ndnaehgpjlnokgebbaldlmgkapkpjkkb?utm_source=gmail&utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality>
> <#>
>
> " 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the
> first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
> irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
> warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all
> damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
> episode "The Drumhead"
> - Alex Smith
> - Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)
>
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 2:31 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Somebody is misunderstanding something here:
>> LFS == http://linuxfromscratch.org
>> :)
>> ZFS =? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS ?
>> ET
>>
>> Alex Smith (K4RNT) writes:
>>
>>> I'll stick with ZFS. I'm a Sun geek.
>>> -Alex, ShadowHntr
>>>

>>> <https://mailtrack.io/> Sent with Mailtrack
>>> <https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/mailtrack-for-gma
>>> il-inbox/ndnaehgpjlnokgebbaldlmgkapkpjkkb?utm_source=gmail&
>>> utm_medium=signature&utm_campaign=signaturevirality>
>>> " 'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured,
>>> the
>>> first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
>>> irrevocably.' Those words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie as wisdom and
>>> warning... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we’re all
>>> damaged." - Jean-Luc Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie, Star Trek: TNG
>>> episode "The Drumhead"
>>> - Alex Smith
>>> - Kent, Washington (metropolitan Seattle area)

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

William D. Roush

AND THEN LEFT TO ROT BY ORACLE. :’(

Re: [Chugalug] (no subject)

Lynn Dixon

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 11:51 PM, William D. Roush <[hidden email]> wrote:

AND THEN LEFT TO ROT BY ORACLE. :’(

Maybe by Oracle, but its still getting a good bit of attention from the high frequency traders.  Every time  I work with a customer that its the Financial sector in NY, they always ask me when Red Hat is going to support ZFS  in RHEL.  I always have to sigh and say "whenever the license is compatible".   I can tell you this (not as a Red Hatter of course).... ZFS runs really....REALLY well on RHEL if you want it to. :-)