[Chugalug] power management question

wes

[Chugalug] power management question

wes
I have an odd problem I'm trying to solve. I have an older flat panel TV that I'm using as a computer monitor for a Linux system. The TV does not (appear to) support any sort of auto-standby mode when it gets no signal, so it just displays the "no signal" notice 90% of the time.

Currently I have set it up on a power strip with a motion sensor, so at least it's not spending nights & weekends on for no reason. I would like to cut this down further.

I've looked into a number of options. The TV supports HDMI-CEC control codes, but I haven't found any consumer-grade video cards that implement that feature other than in a Raspberry Pi type of device. If I could find such a card, that would be ideal.

I also have a power strip controlled by a USB cable - if there's power to the USB plug, it turns on the outlets. However, it seems that in kernel 2.6.38 or so, the option to arbitrarily set the state of a USB port (or whole controller) was removed. So I need to find something in the system that I can power on/off at will. Preferably something that turns off when the display turns off. I had thought about cutting into the video cable and splicing a relay onto the power circuit... but by the time I got that going, I would have spent more than the cost of a ready-made device that already exists to do what I'm trying to do. (https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter if you're curious)

Ideas?

thanks,
-wes

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

Ed King-2
I'd replace it with a teletype

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

Jason Brown-2
Could you use something like LIRC http://www.lirc.org/ to send power on / power off commands to the television via IR?

--Jason

wes

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

wes
This is clever, though in half an hour of searching I have not been able to find good candidates for IR transmission hardware. It seems that if I want it cheap, I have to build it myself. Which I can do, but this particular project doesn't really call for that. And to get off-the-shelf, I'd have to spend more than the USB CEC device would cost.

This does make me wonder if it has an IR input port. I'll have to pull it off the wall and check. If so, can I just run an audio patch cable from a sound card to the IR input? hmmmmm.....

-wes

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 6:23 AM Jason Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you use something like LIRC http://www.lirc.org/ to send power on / power off commands to the television via IR?

--Jason

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:20 AM Ed King <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd replace it with a teletype

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

Dan Lyke
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:01 PM wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is clever, though in half an hour of searching I have not been able to find good candidates
> for IR transmission hardware. It seems that if I want it cheap, I have to build it myself.

Looks like if you've got a 96KHz sound card you might be able to hook
up an IR LED to that and use LIRC.

It's an AVR, an LED and some driver circuitry, or
http://www.irblaster.info/usb_blaster.html
https://www.irdroid.com/usb-infrared-transmitter/

But I don't know what qualifies as "cheap" for you.

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

Dan Lyke
Hmmmm... $17 + a Pi:
https://alexnld.com/product/ir-infrared-receiver-and-transmitter-expansion-board-for-raspberry-pi/

wes

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

wes
$24 is not bad at all. Though it occurs to me after thinking about it, the same IR command is used for on and off, so there is a good chance of getting out of sync.

Pi has the CEC stuff in it already, so by the time it gets complex enough to use that, it's already done.

The CEC gizmo is $45. which is not out of my budget. I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something simple before I go that route.

-wes

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hmmmm... $17 + a Pi:
https://alexnld.com/product/ir-infrared-receiver-and-transmitter-expansion-board-for-raspberry-pi/

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:22 PM Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 12:01 PM wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is clever, though in half an hour of searching I have not been able to find good candidates
> > for IR transmission hardware. It seems that if I want it cheap, I have to build it myself.
>
> Looks like if you've got a 96KHz sound card you might be able to hook
> up an IR LED to that and use LIRC.
>
> It's an AVR, an LED and some driver circuitry, or
> http://www.irblaster.info/usb_blaster.html
> https://www.irdroid.com/usb-infrared-transmitter/
>
> But I don't know what qualifies as "cheap" for you.

Re: [Chugalug] power management question

Jason Brown
Even though your remote only has one button and sends the same command for on and off, most TV's also support discreet commands for those functions too.
Here is some stuff related to the TV-B-Gone project: