New guy introduction.

heffelfinger007
Greetings, I am Matt Heffelfinger. I moved to Soddy from the Phoenix area the beginning of August. I have been lurking here for a month or so, and figured now that I am mostly settled in, it would be a good time to introduce myself.

I'm an "Email Systems Engineer" according to title, working remotely for a certain domain registrar based in Scottsdale ;). I have been working there for almost 11 yrs, with most of my time spent in the Data Centers, and for the past 3 yrs, in our email operations team.

I currently am the guy responsible for all of our inbound, and outbound email policies (keep the spam from going out, and in to all of our email customers. In the email env, we pretty much run all CentOS, so I am pretty linux focused.

Hopefully I can start meeting some more people around here, as working from home isn't very conducive to that sort of thing.

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Dean Warren
Hey Guys!
Yeah, I want to Echo Lynn's post. I am living in the Athens, Ga area and trying to begin mirroring the collective mind of the Chugalug in this area for us Nix folks. Welcome John and Matt!

I mostly lurk and usually only post with questions about the current project I am working on. Theses guys never fail to step up and offer help or suggestions. Also, We have some great resources in the group. Don't ever be afraid to ask cause if there isn't some one here that has it then we can probably find some one who can get it!!

Hope you have a great day,
Dean Warren

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David White-2

Welcome to the 'Lug. This is a wonderful group of IT folks, and we like to help each other. I was just talking with someone recently how awesome this group is because there's no flame wars, everyone is respectful, and we collaborate.

Matt, you just might be the person I need to talk too... I am running CentOS, postfix, and spamassassin. Outgoing deliverability is a little better, but I've had ongoing deliverability issues for several months where my email has been put into people's spam folders.

I think its a little better, but it still sometimes happens. ATT has been completely blocking me recently too. No spam, SPF is valid, DKIM is valid, I have DMARC setup, it's a static IP, etc...

Anyway, if it's OK, I might ping you about this within the next few days.

Regardless, welcome aboard!

On Oct 15, 2015 11:14 AM, "Dean Warren" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Eric Wolf
Welcome to Chugalug!

I was one of the founding members back in the days of Netscape and dial-up modems. Chattanooga OnLine was the best local source for a real SLIP or PPP connection. Chugalug was unique as a LUG because we focused on professional use of Linux. AFAIK, Chugalug has never held an "installfest". There used to be another LUG, CALUG, that held events involving lots of burnt CDs of Red Hat and guiding n00bs through the install process. Some things we still don't do is argue about what is the best distro. Now we have members who work for Red Hat, Amazon, AT&T, and other big name Linux service providers and users.

The group has no official organizational structure. Mike Harrison (meuon) has provided hosting for the email list and web site. The only "official" rule is that if you ask when the next meeting is, you are automatically elected President-Pro-Temp and tasked with organizing the next meeting.

-Eric

Eric B. Wolf                           720-334-7734

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 9:45 AM, David White <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You are welcome to contact me, and I will try to provide as much help/advice as I can.. Which may be worth what you paid for it. :)

That offer goes to everyone here as well, specifically in regards to having issues sending mail to GoDaddy customers (smtp.secureserver.net or mailstore1.secureserver.net mx records). Or if any of my customers are sending out lots of spam to you, let me know, and Ill try to help you out!

-Matt
David White-2 wrote
Welcome to the 'Lug. This is a wonderful group of IT folks, and we like to
help each other. I was just talking with someone recently how awesome this
group is because there's no flame wars, everyone is respectful, and we
collaborate.

Matt, you just might be the person I need to talk too... I am running
CentOS, postfix, and spamassassin. Outgoing deliverability is a little
better, but I've had ongoing deliverability issues for several months where
my email has been put into people's spam folders.

I think its a little better, but it still sometimes happens. ATT has been
completely blocking me recently too. No spam, SPF is valid, DKIM is valid,
I have DMARC setup, it's a static IP, etc...

Anyway, if it's OK, I might ping you about this within the next few days.

Regardless, welcome aboard!
On Oct 15, 2015 11:14 AM, "Dean Warren" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Guys!
> Yeah, I want to Echo Lynn's post. I am living in the Athens, Ga area and
> trying to begin mirroring the collective mind of the Chugalug in this area
> for us Nix folks. Welcome John and Matt!
>
> I mostly lurk and usually only post with questions about the current
> project I am working on. Theses guys never fail to step up and offer help
> or suggestions. Also, We have some great resources in the group. Don't ever
> be afraid to ask cause if there isn't some one here that has it then we can
> probably find some one who can get it!!
>
> Hope you have a great day,
> Dean Warren
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Lynn Dixon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Welcome you two!  You'll find this LUG has representation from TONS of
>> cool technology companies.  Lots of good folks on here, and not all of them
>> are in the CHA area.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Welcome Welcome!

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Lynn Dixon
As big a company as GoDaddy is, and they are using CentOS?  :-)

You guys should be buying RHEL.  Granted, this is coming from a Red Hatter.  I know we also have a Solutions Architect on this list that can sell you some RHEL.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM, heffelfinger007 <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are welcome to contact me, and I will try to provide as much help/advice
as I can.. Which may be worth what you paid for it. :)

That offer goes to everyone here as well, specifically in regards to having
issues sending mail to GoDaddy customers (smtp.secureserver.net or
mailstore1.secureserver.net mx records). Or if any of my customers are
sending out lots of spam to you, let me know, and Ill try to help you out!

-Matt

David White-2 wrote
> Welcome to the 'Lug. This is a wonderful group of IT folks, and we like to
> help each other. I was just talking with someone recently how awesome this
> group is because there's no flame wars, everyone is respectful, and we
> collaborate.
>
> Matt, you just might be the person I need to talk too... I am running
> CentOS, postfix, and spamassassin. Outgoing deliverability is a little
> better, but I've had ongoing deliverability issues for several months
> where
> my email has been put into people's spam folders.
>
> I think its a little better, but it still sometimes happens. ATT has been
> completely blocking me recently too. No spam, SPF is valid, DKIM is valid,
> I have DMARC setup, it's a static IP, etc...
>
> Anyway, if it's OK, I might ping you about this within the next few days.
>
> Regardless, welcome aboard!
> On Oct 15, 2015 11:14 AM, "Dean Warren" &lt;

> deawar@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> Hey Guys!
>> Yeah, I want to Echo Lynn's post. I am living in the Athens, Ga area and
>> trying to begin mirroring the collective mind of the Chugalug in this
>> area
>> for us Nix folks. Welcome John and Matt!
>>
>> I mostly lurk and usually only post with questions about the current
>> project I am working on. Theses guys never fail to step up and offer help
>> or suggestions. Also, We have some great resources in the group. Don't
>> ever
>> be afraid to ask cause if there isn't some one here that has it then we
>> can
>> probably find some one who can get it!!
>>
>> Hope you have a great day,
>> Dean Warren
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Lynn Dixon &lt;

> boodaddy@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>>> Welcome you two!  You'll find this LUG has representation from TONS of
>>> cool technology companies.  Lots of good folks on here, and not all of
>>> them
>>> are in the CHA area.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Stephen Kraus &lt;

> ub3ratl4sf00@

> &gt;

> matt.heffe@

> &gt;

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

heffelfinger007
We were at one time a big RHEL shop. Our main colo DC cage in Mesa AZ was actually right next to Red Hat's cage. The guys who worked in there were cool dudes.

We switched over to Cent from RHEL probably four or five years ago. I actually just retired one of our last RHEL 3 servers a couple weeks ago. (yeah.. scary, but it was deep in the recesses of an internal environment).

Lynn Dixon wrote

snip

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Lynn Dixon
Thats odd you were a RHEL shop but switched to CentOS.  The only reason I can think of doing that was to save money?  CentOS is damn near bit-for-bit RHEL.  Its just recompiled RHEL source without the Red Hat artwork.  Hell, Red Hat even manages the CentOS project now!

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM, heffelfinger007 <[hidden email]> wrote:
We were at one time a big RHEL shop. Our main colo DC cage in Mesa AZ was
actually right next to Red Hat's cage. The guys who worked in there were
cool dudes.

We switched over to Cent from RHEL probably four or five years ago. I
actually just retired one of our last RHEL 3 servers a couple weeks ago.
(yeah.. scary, but it was deep in the recesses of an internal environment).

Lynn Dixon wrote
> As big a company as GoDaddy is, and they are using CentOS?  :-)
>
> You guys should be buying RHEL.  Granted, this is coming from a Red
> Hatter.  I know we also have a Solutions Architect on this list that can
> sell you some RHEL.
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM, heffelfinger007 &lt;

> matt.heffe@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
> snip

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

heffelfinger007
Everything is to save money. I think they looked at it, and thought.. hrmm, pretty much same OS.. why pay for RHEL?  Yeah, I chuckled a bit last year when RedHat and CentOS announced they were coming together.

Lynn Dixon wrote

wrote:

> We were at one time a big RHEL shop. Our main colo DC cage in Mesa AZ was
> actually right next to Red Hat's cage. The guys who worked in there were
> cool dudes.
>
> We switched over to Cent from RHEL probably four or five years ago. I
> actually just retired one of our last RHEL 3 servers a couple weeks ago.
> (yeah.. scary, but it was deep in the recesses of an internal environment).
>

> Lynn Dixon wrote
> > As big a company as GoDaddy is, and they are using CentOS?  :-)
> >
> > You guys should be buying RHEL.  Granted, this is coming from a Red
> > Hatter.  I know we also have a Solutions Architect on this list that can
> > sell you some RHEL.
> >

> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM, heffelfinger007 <
>
> > matt.heffe@
>

> > wrote:
> >
> > snip

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Lynn Dixon
Except there is a delay usually when CentOS gets the updates that RHEL has alreay released :)  And that is pretty huge for a company running stuff in production.  You also get support, and damn good support, in your Red Hat subscriptions.

At my old job, they were always questioning why we didn't just run CentOS for free instead of paying for Red Hat.  My reply was.. "do you want your environment to be secure day one..or wait around until the CentOS developers have free time to compile, test, package and release the patches to the mirrors"  CentOS is fine in dev/test, but for a company generating revenue I would not run it in production.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:26 PM, heffelfinger007 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Everything is to save money. I think they looked at it, and thought.. hrmm,
pretty much same OS.. why pay for RHEL?  Yeah, I chuckled a bit last year
when RedHat and CentOS announced they were coming together.

Lynn Dixon wrote
> Thats odd you were a RHEL shop but switched to CentOS.  The only reason I
> can think of doing that was to save money?  CentOS is damn near
> bit-for-bit
> RHEL.  Its just recompiled RHEL source without the Red Hat artwork.  Hell,
> Red Hat even manages the CentOS project now!
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM, heffelfinger007 &lt;

> matt.heffe@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> We were at one time a big RHEL shop. Our main colo DC cage in Mesa AZ was
>> actually right next to Red Hat's cage. The guys who worked in there were
>> cool dudes.
>>
>> We switched over to Cent from RHEL probably four or five years ago. I
>> actually just retired one of our last RHEL 3 servers a couple weeks ago.
>> (yeah.. scary, but it was deep in the recesses of an internal
>> environment).
>>

>> Lynn Dixon wrote
>> > As big a company as GoDaddy is, and they are using CentOS?  :-)
>> >
>> > You guys should be buying RHEL.  Granted, this is coming from a Red
>> > Hatter.  I know we also have a Solutions Architect on this list that
>> can
>> > sell you some RHEL.
>> >

>> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM, heffelfinger007 &lt;
>>
>> > matt.heffe@
>>
>> > &gt;
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > snip

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Stephen Kraus

I'm the weird kid who has been in CHUGALUG since I was ~15.

I'm 29.

On Oct 15, 2015 3:45 PM, "Lynn Dixon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Except there is a delay usually when CentOS gets the updates that RHEL has alreay released :)  And that is pretty huge for a company running stuff in production.  You also get support, and damn good support, in your Red Hat subscriptions.

At my old job, they were always questioning why we didn't just run CentOS for free instead of paying for Red Hat.  My reply was.. "do you want your environment to be secure day one..or wait around until the CentOS developers have free time to compile, test, package and release the patches to the mirrors"  CentOS is fine in dev/test, but for a company generating revenue I would not run it in production.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:26 PM, heffelfinger007 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Everything is to save money. I think they looked at it, and thought.. hrmm,
pretty much same OS.. why pay for RHEL?  Yeah, I chuckled a bit last year
when RedHat and CentOS announced they were coming together.

Lynn Dixon wrote
> Thats odd you were a RHEL shop but switched to CentOS.  The only reason I
> can think of doing that was to save money?  CentOS is damn near
> bit-for-bit
> RHEL.  Its just recompiled RHEL source without the Red Hat artwork.  Hell,
> Red Hat even manages the CentOS project now!
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:06 PM, heffelfinger007 &lt;

> matt.heffe@

> &gt;
> wrote:
>
>> We were at one time a big RHEL shop. Our main colo DC cage in Mesa AZ was
>> actually right next to Red Hat's cage. The guys who worked in there were
>> cool dudes.
>>
>> We switched over to Cent from RHEL probably four or five years ago. I
>> actually just retired one of our last RHEL 3 servers a couple weeks ago.
>> (yeah.. scary, but it was deep in the recesses of an internal
>> environment).
>>

>> Lynn Dixon wrote
>> > As big a company as GoDaddy is, and they are using CentOS?  :-)
>> >
>> > You guys should be buying RHEL.  Granted, this is coming from a Red
>> > Hatter.  I know we also have a Solutions Architect on this list that
>> can
>> > sell you some RHEL.
>> >

>> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM, heffelfinger007 &lt;
>>
>> > matt.heffe@
>>
>> > &gt;
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > snip

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Alex Smith (K4RNT)
Now's the time I wished I lived in Chattanooga.

Re: [Chugalug] New guy introduction.

Michael Scholten
Welcome to the LUG Matt and John!

Like many here I mostly lurk save for the occasional comment or question. I don't work for any of the big companies and hold no titles... Just play with linux at home and attempt to install it on as many computers as possible at work. Currently Linux is beating Windows out at nearly 2:1. Working on changing that ratio >:D

When not playing on the computer I'm typically out flying RC planes/multirotors. (or would be. The weather and time has been limiting my flying schedule a bit...)