Re: [Chugalug] CHA Fiber (was EPB announcement)

Re: [Chugalug] CHA Fiber (was EPB announcement)

David White

I woke up over 2 hours ago and haven't been able to go back to sleep. I gave up a few minutes ago, after spending the last hour trying to sleep while also having thoughts about the current state of fiber rings in Chattanooga.

That said, I just found this interesting article from 2001 when Corker, EPB, and Chattanooga first tapped into the fiber ring serving Oak Ridge: http://fcw.com/articles/2001/11/04/chattanooga-taps-into-ngi.aspx?m=1

I'd wager that if Oak Ridge weren't around, we'd definitely not be where we are today.

Anyway, I'm surprised to hear fiber from Knox to here isn't fully developed. It seems to me there should be at least a few businesses that would prefer to have a connection through Chattanooga to Atlanta than to have to go through Nashville to get to Atlanta.

Of course we're talking about the speed of light so its probably a moot point.

I do wonder though what dark fuber would cost from here to Knoxville. Seems to me Knoxville would be more isolated than us in terms of fiber connections to the rest of the country / world given our proximity to Atlanta.

Re: [Chugalug] CHA Fiber (was EPB announcement)

Dave Brockman