Quantcast

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

Mike Harrison
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013, William Wade wrote:
> Just Googled a bit and found this:
> http://n5.nabble.com/archive-your-mailing-list.html
> Looks like anyone can do it just by being a subscriber to a list and boom! you have a forum like interface for
> Chugalug just for you!

I'd say you are in charge of the Nabble project and I'm impressed with
what little I saw so far. Have fun and post a link when ready.



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

William Roush
On 9/16/2013 12:30 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:
>
> If the community decries posting PGP/GPG sigs as antisocial behavior,
> the more socially aware members MIGHT not post them to the list.
> They might, just because they can. I'd like to let the community work
> that out over time.
>

In my opinion it's only really annoying when your sig is larger than
your content 99% of the time. Though I swear I've seen people attach
sigs as attachments, which is nice.

William Roush

On 9/16/2013 12:30 PM, Mike Harrison wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013, Mike Robinson wrote:
>> I want to know what's happening around here, but I can't stand a
>> Listserv much longer.  If it stays, I go.
>
> Been nice knowing you... but I hope you stay.
>
> Chugalug has been active since 1999. It's evolved a little since then,
> and will evolve more over time. "Listserv" suck, "WebForums" suck..
> both have different reasons they are each superior and inferior.
> Those reasons are often different for different people.
>
> I'll admit the recent foray into PGP/GPG and signatures has added
> noise to the list, but it is part of the evolutionary process of both
> the list and the technologies being used. The biggest factor is the
> people involved and their behaviors.
>
> Chugalug has existed for 14+ years under my personal benevolence as an
> experiment in communal anarchy and community as much as it is a "LUG".
> Its flavor dates back to the hobbies (and businesses) of several of
> the founding members that ran Bulletin Board Systems (BBS's) including
> myself.
>
> If the community decries posting PGP/GPG sigs as antisocial behavior,
> the more socially aware members MIGHT not post them to the list.
> They might, just because they can. I'd like to let the community work
> that out over time.
>
> My personal gripe of top posters that don't trim is a common one
> for many of my more e-mail list savvy generation. While I don't like
> PGP Signatures that are invasive in the body of the email compared to
> MIME attachments, I understand the tools being used and their reasons.
> I'd rather see a post from Dave or Dan with such "noise" than not have
> them post. I swap back and forth from using PINE and Apple Mail, I
> usually see -everything- in PINE and only the relevant part in Apple
> Mail. Maybe your choice or configuration of e-mail interface is part
> of the issue?
>
> ===Anyway, back on topic:======
>
> A web forum.
>
> 0.  I won't host any commonly available web forum (Simple Machines
> Forum, PhpBB, etc.. ) on my personal server. I have in the past and
> they are so full of exploits and management overhead as to be not
> something I want to deal with. Anything with session/cookie based auth
> is a pain. Once upon a time I hacked SMF to use Basic Auth.. worth using.
>
> 1.  If anyone wants to set one up and host it and manage it, I'd
> happily point some DNS hostname's to it.. join the fray, explore how
> it worked with the community.
>
> 2. My personal experience with Web Forums is the tend to race to the
> bottom. The listserv format is the only barrier to being a member of
> Chugalug, and posting/conversing to 250+ people, it's just enough of a
> technical barrier to be desirable.
>
> 3.  Viva la Revolution! If the community organizes a revolt with
> enough long term commitment to be credible, I'll graciously concede.
> I'm a member of some other "LUGS" that die and rebirth every few
> years, fighting over
> control, format, agenda, mission, checkbook, 501c3 status, meeting
> locations...
>
> ======Just saw the post about: reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/chugalug/
>
> Awesome. Works for me.. We could even setup a cross-posting mechanism....
> a redirect.. All things are possible.
>
> I've also seen Linked In Forums, IRC chats..  All good. Welcome to
> socially responsible anarchy. This is a "Society of Independant People"
> and you can be an active force in it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

willmwade
Administrator
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Mike Harrison
Well I am getting the posts from Chugalug, but is this post getting to Chugalug?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

willmwade
Administrator
In reply to this post by Mike Harrison
Well if you see this, then it is working. The posts are coming into Nabble, but this will confirm that they are posting back.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

William Roush
Nope, don't see nothing.

William Roush

On 9/16/2013 1:03 PM, willmwade wrote:

> Well if you see this, then it is working. The posts are coming into Nabble,
> but this will confirm that they are posting back.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/Re-Chugalug-Forum-vs-Listserv-tp4p7.html
> Sent from the Chugalug mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

John Aldrich
In reply to this post by Mike Harrison
Quoting Mike Harrison <[hidden email]>:
[snip]
> ======Just saw the post about: reddit  http://www.reddit.com/r/chugalug/
>
> Awesome. Works for me.. We could even setup a cross-posting mechanism....
> a redirect.. All things are possible.
>
I know that once upon a time there was such a thing as an  
email<->Usenet gateway. Perhaps something like that could be devised  
here?
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

Stephen Kraus
Ew. I hate reddits posting style, it hurts my damned eyes.


On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Quoting Mike Harrison <[hidden email]>:
[snip]
======Just saw the post about: reddit  http://www.reddit.com/r/chugalug/

Awesome. Works for me.. We could even setup a cross-posting mechanism....
a redirect.. All things are possible.

I know that once upon a time there was such a thing as an email<->Usenet gateway. Perhaps something like that could be devised here?
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug


_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

Rod-Lists
In reply to this post by willmwade
And people complain about drupal based forums.
Why scrape and push to rss?

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:03:05 -0400, willmwade <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well if you see this, then it is working. The posts are coming into  
> Nabble,
> but this will confirm that they are posting back.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:  
> http://chugalug.1100489.n5.nabble.com/Re-Chugalug-Forum-vs-Listserv-tp4p7.html
> Sent from the Chugalug mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Chugalug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug


--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

Dan Lyke
In reply to this post by John Aldrich
On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM, John Aldrich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I know that once upon a time there was such a thing as an email<->Usenet
> gateway. Perhaps something like that could be devised here?

For a while I had a blog<->Usenet gateway. Became a hassle to keep
migrating INN versions, so I let it bit rot, but...

The nice thing about email lists and even NNTP groups is that there's
a certain filtering that happens when there's a barrier to entry.
Anyone remember waving the dead chicken to post to the Scary Devil
Monastery?

Dan
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

DaWorm
Not sure where all of the forum talk came from.  I just wondered why the PGP key had to be inline in the message instead of an attachment.  If that's a limitation of PGP, fine.  I was just noting it made viewing mail on the phone much less than enjoyable, not asking anyone to switch from a list to a forum, or even to stop using PGP.  But, and this is an unknown to me, if the PGP app lets you put the public key in an attachment rather than inline, it would be nice to the other people on the list for those that want PGP to do so.  If not, I guess I'll live with it, because the parts of the message that have actual content in them are still usually quite enjoyable.

Jeff.

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Chugalug] Forum vs Listserv

Dave Brockman
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On 9/16/2013 5:26 PM, DaWorm wrote:

> Not sure where all of the forum talk came from.  I just wondered
> why the PGP key had to be inline in the message instead of an
> attachment.  If that's a limitation of PGP, fine.  I was just
> noting it made viewing mail on the phone much less than enjoyable,
> not asking anyone to switch from a list to a forum, or even to stop
> using PGP.  But, and this is an unknown to me, if the PGP app lets
> you put the public key in an attachment rather than inline, it
> would be nice to the other people on the list for those that want
> PGP to do so.  If not, I guess I'll live with it, because the parts
> of the message that have actual content in them are still usually
> quite enjoyable.

Usually keys are attached.  Including the signature inline allows
those with properly configured clients to be able to identify within
their mail client that the email was indeed signed by a valid known
key.  Otherwise, one would have to save the text email, save the
signature, and run the verify command from the CLI to verify the
signature.  Then there are headers/footers that the mailing list may
add that wouldn't have been on the original email that was signed,
helpfully, G/PGP have start and stop marks when used inline.

Regards,

dtb



-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.17 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJSN3oSAAoJEMP+wtEOVbcd7mMH/3tip5skUgiehwSuQfyS+adh
M6wJiPI4gkp5gNaA49dqiuygVtCQ/CTKA1+RqWQW25YxnlnfToCa7ivitxCKeS+5
UhePd1wWmp2HVEMeAxMAWgtOrd9EbD6Hdvs1C8wyrq3nHC7Q0f66zMn3/86Swj5h
UwlnZAldESITCqJ6Th46yl0Qinb1RiFZk6RmNJtqS5XiFyU3mdX/Bc69hBtaTLdR
67S+Yx20GM6tzjdr0HOOfR9oMKrXPzIJnMD03jQZP74Axa4dcc3s6uNBjZfDh5ge
8WYG2oV3hEQN1ZGbPPGYt7rqGxQOovI9euHmg/jGLHl0j9sIv2Ll/Nld1Si3+FM=
=7+05
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Loading...