Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Mike Harrison-4

Forwarding the strangest email I’ve received all week.

I’m passing it to the list (Chugalug.Org) for commentary and/or ridicule (as would be normal for Chugalug).

I can attest that there is no bank account or bank balance that I know of associated with Chugalug so there is no way that we could help fund Eric Raymond to attend TVIW.

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Douglas Loss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Mike,
>
> My name is Doug Loss; I'm the registrar for the Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop (https://tviw.us).  I'm CCing this message to Dru Myers from the Nashville LUG for any further information he can add to this message.
>
> I've been involved in FOSS for more than twenty years; I ran SEUL/edu, an organization that fostered the use of FOSS in education, for some years until its focus changed from the technical aspect of the question to the pedagogical aspect, at which point I turned it over to the educators.
>
> I've known Eric Raymond casually since about 1990, when we were both just getting started in this realm (Eric was working on ChescoNet, which was initially a dial-up bulletin board system to connect Chester County, PA computer users to the internet; I was beginning to build the campus network at Bloomsburg University in central PA.).  I recently contacted him about attending the next TVIW symposium (October 3-6 in Huntsville, AL - https://tviw.us), which he's quite interested in.  Unfortunately, he's currently in something of a straitened financial situation and can't afford the cost.
>
> I was wondering if there's any possibility of Chugalug (or any other organization in the area that you might know of) perhaps setting up a paid speaking engagement for Eric to both bring him to the area and to provide the wherewithal to participate in the TVIW symposium.  I'm not including Eric in this conversation just yet to avoid any possibility of embarrassment to him.  I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have about this.  Oh, and if you know anyone who might be interested in attending TVIW 2017 themselves, pass the word on!  Thanks.
>
> --
> Doug Loss
> [hidden email]
> (865) 238-0745

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Stephen Kraus
I keep forgetting how casual we are compared to other LUGs

On Apr 5, 2017 4:29 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Forwarding the strangest email I’ve received all week.

I’m passing it to the list (Chugalug.Org) for commentary and/or ridicule (as would be normal for Chugalug).

I can attest that there is no bank account or bank balance that I know of associated with Chugalug so there is no way that we could help fund Eric Raymond to attend TVIW.

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 1:58 PM, Douglas Loss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Mike,
>
> My name is Doug Loss; I'm the registrar for the Tennessee Valley Interstellar Workshop (https://tviw.us).  I'm CCing this message to Dru Myers from the Nashville LUG for any further information he can add to this message.
>
> I've been involved in FOSS for more than twenty years; I ran SEUL/edu, an organization that fostered the use of FOSS in education, for some years until its focus changed from the technical aspect of the question to the pedagogical aspect, at which point I turned it over to the educators.
>
> I've known Eric Raymond casually since about 1990, when we were both just getting started in this realm (Eric was working on ChescoNet, which was initially a dial-up bulletin board system to connect Chester County, PA computer users to the internet; I was beginning to build the campus network at Bloomsburg University in central PA.).  I recently contacted him about attending the next TVIW symposium (October 3-6 in Huntsville, AL - https://tviw.us), which he's quite interested in.  Unfortunately, he's currently in something of a straitened financial situation and can't afford the cost.
>
> I was wondering if there's any possibility of Chugalug (or any other organization in the area that you might know of) perhaps setting up a paid speaking engagement for Eric to both bring him to the area and to provide the wherewithal to participate in the TVIW symposium.  I'm not including Eric in this conversation just yet to avoid any possibility of embarrassment to him.  I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have about this.  Oh, and if you know anyone who might be interested in attending TVIW 2017 themselves, pass the word on!  Thanks.
>
> --
> Doug Loss
> [hidden email]
> <a href="tel:%28865%29%20238-0745" value="+18652380745">(865) 238-0745

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Mike Harrison-4

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 4:33 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I keep forgetting how casual we are compared to other LUGs

“Casual”.. That’s a good word for it.

I think it’s also the longest continual running “LUG” in the USA.

I’ll see you at ChugaLunch (noon at Panera downtown) el Presidenté so we can impeach you (with respect and admiration).

What we don’t know is: What would it cost to host Eric Raymond for a presentation. Maybe ChaTech would want to do that someday?





 
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Dan Lyke
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 17:14:08 -0400
Mike Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What we don’t know is: What would it cost to host Eric Raymond for a
> presentation. Maybe ChaTech would want to do that someday?

Some years ago I was working on some photo management software, and
trying to figure out a business model. I knew Bruce Perens from my
Pixar days, so I talked to Bruce about it and he said "hell if I know
about Open Source business models, I make my living off of lecturing
fees."

My question on ESR is: What, really, do we have to learn from him. Dude
wrote one tool that most of us probably don't use any more, and a lot
of stuff that... in hindsight doesn't really seem all that insightful.

And some stuff that seems pretty injurious to the open source movement.

If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
voice.

Dan
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Mike Harrison-4

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
> voice.


Laughing. I think I know other people I’d buy plane tickets for… ;)

But in this case, it was a fun jibe thought about luring ChaTech to spend money on something non-commercially focussed.






_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Stephen Kraus
Denver LUG and Cheyenne LUG did speakers a couple times, sometimes was kinda cool, I enjoyed the free speakers more than the paid.

On Apr 5, 2017 6:03 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
> voice.


Laughing. I think I know other people I’d buy plane tickets for… ;)

But in this case, it was a fun jibe thought about luring ChaTech to spend money on something non-commercially focussed.






_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
wes
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

wes
we got Linus to do a guest speech and Q&A at our 20th anniversary :)

-wes

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Denver LUG and Cheyenne LUG did speakers a couple times, sometimes was kinda cool, I enjoyed the free speakers more than the paid.

On Apr 5, 2017 6:03 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
> voice.


Laughing. I think I know other people I’d buy plane tickets for… ;)

But in this case, it was a fun jibe thought about luring ChaTech to spend money on something non-commercially focussed.






_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

David White-2
I’ll see you at ChugaLunch (noon at Panera downtown) el Presidenté so we can impeach you (with respect and admiration).

He said 12:30 in the separate discussion, I believe. 

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:18 PM, wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
we got Linus to do a guest speech and Q&A at our 20th anniversary :)

-wes

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Denver LUG and Cheyenne LUG did speakers a couple times, sometimes was kinda cool, I enjoyed the free speakers more than the paid.

On Apr 5, 2017 6:03 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
> voice.


Laughing. I think I know other people I’d buy plane tickets for… ;)

But in this case, it was a fun jibe thought about luring ChaTech to spend money on something non-commercially focussed.






_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug




--
David White
Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Chugalug] Introduction, and proposal

Jason Griffey

I've had the experience (not quite pleasure) of hanging out with ESR a couple of times, and had a small handful of social engagements (dinners and the like) with him. 

I second and third the "there are much much better voices for OSS", especially now. I'd say the same about Stallman, who is a truly strange duck. 

Jason

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 5:26 PM David White <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’ll see you at ChugaLunch (noon at Panera downtown) el Presidenté so we can impeach you (with respect and admiration).

He said 12:30 in the separate discussion, I believe. 

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:18 PM, wes <[hidden email]> wrote:
we got Linus to do a guest speech and Q&A at our 20th anniversary :)

-wes

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Stephen Kraus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Denver LUG and Cheyenne LUG did speakers a couple times, sometimes was kinda cool, I enjoyed the free speakers more than the paid.

On Apr 5, 2017 6:03 PM, "Mike Harrison" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:35 PM, Dan Lyke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> If I were tossing money around to hear someone speak, I'd find another
> voice.


Laughing. I think I know other people I’d buy plane tickets for… ;)

But in this case, it was a fun jibe thought about luring ChaTech to spend money on something non-commercially focussed.






_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug



_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug




--
David White
Founder & CEO

@developCENTS
https://developcents.com

Develop CENTS
Computing, Equipping, Networking, Training & Supporting for small businesses and nonprofits
Providing: Web Hosting, Technical Support & IT Consulting

Signup to our Newsletter at https://developcents.com/contact/
_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug

_______________________________________________
Chugalug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://chugalug.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/chugalug