Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people

Rod-Lists
May suggest you roll your own and ask mike to point a subdomain in your
direction.
Personally I want Phlogs!

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:16:21 -0400, Mike Robinson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> To me, that well-intentioned reply is just chock-full of gasoline ..
> primed to start a big fire instead of improving the situation, although
> surely not intended to do so.
>
> I'd like to refocus the attention of the group squarely on what, I
> think, the problem is:  "Listservs suck."  :-)
>
> I'd like a forum, please.  A list of topics and threads that I can visit
> regularly in my browser, to conveniently choose and thence to follow
> whatever is of interest to me.  The "digests," sometimes dozens a day
> and sometimes many times an hour, quite frankly are next-to unusable.
> (And if they get filled-up with GPG-encrypted posts, they are "beyond(!)
> utterly useless" and become "richly annoying.")
>
> I want to know what's happening around here, but I can't stand a
> Listserv much longer.  If it stays, I go.
>
> So...  "solution == 'a forum.'"  How can we quickly and easily get there?
>
> "TMTOWTDI = There's More Than One Way To Do It," and this particular
> "way to do it" ... ahh ... sucks.  (To me, at least.)  So, how can we
> replace this -- quickly, easily, "Done."

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people

Jason Brown
On 9/16/13 12:43 PM, Dave Brockman wrote:

On 9/16/2013 12:31 PM, Jason Brown wrote:
I'm not a big fan of forums myself, I prefer mailing lists. I find
it much easier to filter out the things I don't want on a mail
client than it would be in a forum. For example, PGP discussions
(I'm right there with you, I don't care about them.)
There are pros and cons to both.  However, as you point out, filtering
is generally easier with mail than on web forums.  Archiving is
another feature lists bring.

Of course, filtering on a phone is typically not so great. I use
IMAP and have all of my mail filters handled by a core thunderbird
client that is always running.  Except when it is not for some
reason, then the email client on my phone becomes practically
unusable ;).
If you use IMAP, look into using sieve.  My list mail is delivered
directly into my list folder hierarchy, it never hits my "Inbox"
proper.  I have to manually go looking into the folders on the phone.

I've used sieve in the past and it is nice. I don't run my own personal mail servers anymore though, it just became too much of a hassle.

On a related noted, Thunderbird threaded viewing is doing a bang up job of keeping this thread readable and together, even with all of the subject line changes. I think it is using magic.

--Jason Brown

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people

Dave Brockman