Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Dave Brockman

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

John Aldrich
Quoting Dave Brockman <[hidden email]>:

> On 9/16/2013 12:41 PM, William Roush wrote:
>> Yeah, sorry, bit of a wrong suggestion, forums and mail lists can
>> be kind of "joined", I've seen a lot of places do it.
>
> Yahoo groups used to have a "combined" forum/list-serv set-up.  It
> acted like a mailing list to those that wanted a list, and it offered
> a forum-esque web portal to the groups.  I actually liked the way it
> worked, but I never found the equivalent in the wild, software-wise.

Still do. Problem is they have it locked down so badly that you almost
can't post via email any more. :(

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

rdflowers
Mailman mailing lists do list in their management option, a mail<>
news gateway.

Does this not work.

I love email mailing lists ( less intimidating name for folks than
listserve ), and I hate hate hate forums.

----- Message from [hidden email] ---------
     Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:39:38 -0400
     From: John Aldrich <[hidden email]>
  Subject: Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)
       To: [hidden email]

----- End message from [hidden email] -----

--
R. D. Flowers, Chattanooga, TN, USA
http://chalice.us/poe/

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

rdflowers
Mailman mailing lists like this one have a web interface and archives.
I guess you don't get things broken down into/ stuffed into/ lost in
someone else's twisty-passage category system that way, "though".

No two people ( actually, no one person ) categorizes alike.

----- Message from [hidden email] ---------
     Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:39:38 -0400
     From: John Aldrich <[hidden email]>
       To: [hidden email]

> Quoting Dave Brockman <[hidden email]>:

>> On 9/16/2013 12:41 PM, William Roush wrote:
>>> Yeah, sorry, bit of a wrong suggestion, forums and mail lists can
>>> be kind of "joined", I've seen a lot of places do it.
>>
>> Yahoo groups used to have a "combined" forum/list-serv set-up.  It
>> acted like a mailing list to those that wanted a list, and it offered
>> a forum-esque web portal to the groups.  I actually liked the way it
>> worked, but I never found the equivalent in the wild, software-wise.
>>
> Still do. Problem is they have it locked down so badly that you
> almost can't post via email any more. :(

----- End message from [hidden email] -----

--
R. D. Flowers, Chattanooga, TN, USA
http://chalice.us/poe/

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Mike Harrison
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013, rdflowers wrote:
> Mailman mailing lists do list in their management option, a mail<> news
> gateway.
>
> Does this not work.

It probably does, I haven't run an NNTP server in almost 15 years.
After the last few subpeonas about who was posting what from where thanks
to the local law enforcement types, and looking at the traffic it was
sucking compared to the local users, we outsourced it to an NNTP news
service. So it would take an account on a NNTP service, or one of the free
ones.. and the you open the floodgates to a whole new world.
My only point is, NNTP kinda died to me many years ago. Hopefully the
moron-aol-idiot contingent is all happy on Facebook and Torrenting warez
and porn instead of using NNTP for it (which it sucks at).

http://www.eternal-september.org/  looks like free text only usenet
news...

http://www.eternal-september.org/do_groupsearch.php

looks like there are a lot of Linux-ish news groups still active.

Hmm..I remember TIN as a newsreader..
What's the best CLI NNTP client out there? We may have to explore.

Re: [Chugalug] Open Source "personality flaw" (was Digest)

Dave Brockman

[Chugalug] Decentralized Services

Mike Harrison
Dave:
> Stop it Mike, just stop it.  I just had a Blue Wave Flashback (OS/2
> version, thank you very much) trying to remember what I used for NNTP...

Dave,

It's a convergence of threads in different place.

http://www.flutterby.com/archives/comments/18246.html

about:

http://www.redecho.org/2013/08/18/2219/

building "decentralized services"

Which the original internet (1990's) had a lot of.

The thought is a kinda about a small Linux-ish appliance
that could provide a stable secure "darknet" without the internet.
A conversation I had on the street today with a person on this list
had me thinking that it would have been a great conversation to have had
on a semi-trusted open forum on a darknet. Why? because this person's
future employers, wives, etc.. probably don't need to know about the
journey of exploration he is on, they need to deal with the result (and
facade) at the point in his journey that they meet him on.

UUCP, NNTP, BBS-style forums... all make sense in that world that might
exist on store and forward networks, sneakernets, private meshes and
occaisional VPNs.

And if an employer has the tech-savvy to join that ecosystem and hunt you
down: it might be the reason to really want to work for them, or avoid
them like the plague.

Question:  Where on the internet (now) do you go to have reasonably
private anonymous conversations with intelligent people about deeply
personal subjects. Religion, Sex, Politics, Dark tech, etc ?
without fear of public embarrasment, humiliation or arrest?

Once upon a time it was the whole internet, IRC.. then newsgroups.. then
private non-archived non-web posted mailing lists.. (there are a few still out
here..), Facebook? Reddit?

Re: [Chugalug] Decentralized Services

Rod-Lists

I been thinking on this awhile. Even before the current nsa flareup.
The old idea was revive fido with something akin to the 1bbs script that
turns a linux box into a bbs.

Lately I been taking a nostalgia tour into Gopher and doing research into
what is being done with it lately.
Found a blog about creating a gopher server with inetd(remember that?) and
some php.
Got to thinking why not use sshd instead? Or have public gophers with
everything encrypted using public/private key gpg.
Add an alt DNS top level domain to really screw with some folk.