Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

John Aldrich
Quoting William Wade <[hidden email]>:

> P.S.
> If we are going to switch how about to a BBS or Newsgroup?

Newsgroup???? Are you serious??? Do you know how prone to abuse Usenet
groups are? Why do you think they are very under-utilized? They seem
to be filled with spam whenever I dip my toe into the water these days
and you have ZERO control over who posts in them... unless you run a
private Usenet server and don't export the groups to the rest of Usenet.

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

William D. Roush
Something something, security through obscurity, something something.

Lets do it!

William Roush

On 9/16/2013 2:37 PM, John Aldrich wrote:

> Quoting William Wade <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> P.S.
>> If we are going to switch how about to a BBS or Newsgroup?
>>
> Newsgroup???? Are you serious??? Do you know how prone to abuse Usenet
> groups are? Why do you think they are very under-utilized? They seem
> to be filled with spam whenever I dip my toe into the water these days
> and you have ZERO control over who posts in them... unless you run a
> private Usenet server and don't export the groups to the rest of Usenet.

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

Rod-Lists
I'm told MS still uses usenet for tech support issues.

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:37:38 -0400, John Aldrich <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Quoting William Wade <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> P.S.
>> If we are going to switch how about to a BBS or Newsgroup?
>>
> Newsgroup???? Are you serious??? Do you know how prone to abuse Usenet
> groups are? Why do you think they are very under-utilized? They seem to
> be filled with spam whenever I dip my toe into the water these days and
> you have ZERO control over who posts in them... unless you run a private
> Usenet server and don't export the groups to the rest of Usenet.

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

Rod-Lists
1. please quit forking the conversation.
2. we could also go gopher. <ducks>

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:38:10 -0400, William Roush
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Something something, security through obscurity, something something.
>
> Lets do it!
>
> William Roush
>
> On 9/16/2013 2:37 PM, John Aldrich wrote:
>> Quoting William Wade <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> P.S.
>>> If we are going to switch how about to a BBS or Newsgroup?
>>>
>> Newsgroup???? Are you serious??? Do you know how prone to abuse Usenet
>> groups are? Why do you think they are very under-utilized? They seem to
>> be filled with spam whenever I dip my toe into the water these days and
>> you have ZERO control over who posts in them... unless you run a
>> private Usenet server and don't export the groups to the rest of Usenet.

Re: [Chugalug] Thanks to Mike H, and Geeks (Was: Open Source "personality flaw" .. let's stay focused, people)

William D. Roush
Kind of a tongue-in-cheek remark that we don't have to worry about abuse
due to our size.

Not really a viable point. ;)

William Roush